Re: [Epic]Insiginia

From: Chris Miller <ironstar_at_...>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 22:39:44 -0600

---------> This should be good...

>Well, think about it, throughout history what other troops were as feared
and
>hated as the SS?
-------> A whole bunch. That "throughout history" part leaves you wide
open... _Mongols_ were feared and hated...

 What other troops were as elite?
---------> Again, a whole bunch. Then again, what do you mean by elite? High
Morale? Better Equipment? Politically approved? Alexanders Macedonians come
to mind...Texas Rangers come to mind...

>Well sure now days you have new special forces, but they have'nt had any
>oppourtunities to strike terror into their enemies (maybe Arkan and his
Tigers
>over in Bosnia!).
---------> I'd say that unless you've been on the receiving end , it's kind
of hard to evaluate that. Some Vietnam vets could probably cite units from
both sides of that conflict...

>The truth is that the SS are a model on which all elite, ruthless, cruel,
>emotionless, psychos are based on!

------------> (???) you mean in real life, fiction, this game, or what?.
There were units and individuals with the above qualities (and proud of
them) long before the SS came about. Read some books.

>Like it or not, they were the best soldiers the world had ever seen!
---------> This is probably the most completely false statement I have ever
seen on this list. (And that's saying something.) It is so false in so many
ways and shows such a staggering lack of any kind of knowledge of military
history (my minor BTW) that I cannot even begin to formulate a response
within the constraints of this list This will be my last post in the topic.

--------> Wrong again, as several others have pointed out.

>The SS have earned their reputation as great and fierce fighters.
-------> They were elite units, no argument. But they've also earned
reputations for a few other things along the way, tarnishing the other
qualities.

>As for why a nazi IG rebellion, well simple, its cool!
------->To muchkins, maybe...
it has flavor!
-------> Sure it does. The 40K universe is so lacking in flavor we have to
drag in Nazi's, which of course have never been used in miniatures before.

its new!
---------> Maybe to you. I've seen it before, usually from high school kids
who think the SS is so cool mainly because they don't know enough about
anyone else...

>and it makes sense if you look at the Warhammer 40k fluff about the Empire!
---------> Sure...I read the 40K background the first time and said "Darn,
them there is Nazi's." Not Russians, innumerable generic kingdoms from
fantasy fiction, Romans, Medieval Japan, etc.

>Anyway, who's to say that there wont be nazis in 40,000 years?
Games Workshop. They seem to have left them out for about 11 years now, as
have most of the people who play the game...

Chris Miller