Re: [Epic]Insiginia

From: Chris Miller <ironstar_at_...>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 23:06:17 -0600

>I've never seen it to be an issue in any of the gaming I've ever done. The
only
>time it becoems an issue is on the internet, where people have to much time
>think wildly before they start typing.
>
>Los
---------> Not to be flip, but if you've never seen it must not exist? I've
played against a WH40K Nazi Ork army, a WH40K Nazi Imperial army, and an
Epic guy who thought "Chaos" was synonomus with "Nazi German" as his titans
were covered with swastika decals, banners etc. Notice this isn't "WW2
German", it's specifically Red, Black, SS, and swastikas, and yeah it does
get tiresome hearing how great they are/were from people who know little
about history and think they've just had the most original idea in the
history of gaming. _Wow_, another SS Marine army with little swastikas
painted on the shoulderpads. <yawn>
(One was at a con, and the other 2 were at a local store.)
(and no, it's not an issue in historical gaming, but we are talking about
Epic, I believe)

Another reason not to do this is other people...Ya know, gamers aren't
really seen as mainstream, especially after all the "D&D is evil" crap in
the 80's, but people gathered around a table playing with toy soldiers are
usually tagged as "odd but harmless" - unless half the table is covered in
swastikas, then it goes to "weird, possibly dangerous" and "my kids aren't
coming here", damaging the hobby. The guy at the con did get flak about it,
(and no, not much of it from me.)

Here's a thought: paint 'em up in the colors or camo schemes of one of the
SS divisions and use the unit badges but leave off the swastikas, and see if
anyone knows what they are. If they don't, enjoy the rush as you explain in
great detail what they are patterned after - Unless of course they have to
have the "twisted cross" to make them cool, which kind of makes the unit
irrelevant and says the cool thing is the symbol, nuking many of the
arguments made today to support their use...

>P.S> If you are forming all of your perceptions about a people from the
what you
>see on "the box", then that should be setting off alarm bells in your head.

----------> Well at least we can all agree on this. Especially the talk
shows...

Chris Miller