[Epic] Further musings on troop transport

From: Steve Sheldon <s_sheldon_at_...>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 14:16:32 PST

I have given further thought to the proposed rule I posted yesterday.
For those who missed it I will try and rewrite it a little more clearly
than before.

New transport rules:
Any vehicle that has a transport ability will have a rating such as
Transport(a/b). a is the transport load size, or the maximum size of
unit the vehicle can physically load, this value is limited by hatch
size, and other physical factors. The second value b is the cargo
capacity, it is effectively the same as the previous transport rating,
it determines how much the transport unit may carry.

To facilitate this, every unit must now have a size rating. A model of a
given size may only enter a transporter if it's size is equal to or less
than the transport load size, and the total capacity of the vehicle is
the sum of the sizes of the units being transported.

Furthermore, the load size rating also determines the discharge rate of
troops. When a vehicle wishes to allow troops to dismount it must give
up 5cm of it's movement in order to allow troops to exit. The rate at
which troops exit is determined by its load size rating, if the amount
of troops that wish to leave is greater than the size rating, further
5cm penalties must be placed on the vehicle movement. All exiting troops
also suffer the 5cm penalty to movement.

The same penalties apply for picking up units.

Confusing? Lets look at an example: under these new rules, all regular
infantry (5 to a base) will be size 1, and a rhino would have the
ability Transport (1/2), therefore if the rhino wishes to drop off one
stand, then it (and the infantry stand) loses 5cm of movement. If the
rhino wishes to drop off more stands then it will have to drop 10cm from
it's move.

Here are some transport and size ratings for Various units.
All War Engines are too big to transport.
Aircraft may not be transported.
All infantry size 1.
All Dreadnoughts (incl. War walkers Sentinels and tinboyz) Size 2
All support platforms, ogryns and terminator marines, Size 1 for the
purpose of loading, but effectively take up 2 spaces in a vehicle.
All bikes, cavalry and light vehicles (Vypers, landspeeders, attack
bikes, buggyz etc.) Size 2

IMPERIUM
All Rhino variants and chimera variants (Excluding Artillery) size 3
Land Raiders,Leman Russ, Demolisher, artillery, Gorgons, Size 4
Chimera, Land raider, Rhino, Transport (1/2)
Gorgon Trasport(2/2)
Leviathan Transport(3/6)
Imperator Transport(1/8)
Thunderhawk Transport(3/6)
Capitol Imperialis Transport(4/12)

ELDAR
Falcon variants size 3
Falcon Transport(1/1)
Wave serpant Transport(1/2)
avatar Size 2

I will post the rest after my lunch break.
Steve

--
If you choke a Smurf, what colour does it go?