Re: [Epic] SM Chaos

From: Andy Skinner <askinner_at_...>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 14:14:56 -0500

Looks like something in my email has changed recently, and I'm getting
some kind of automatic wraparound, usually leaving me with a single word
on the
next line. I'm going to try not hitting return at the end of each line
and see whether this comes out right. If it comes in one long line,
sorry. (Not hitting that return key is killing me.)

Miller, Chris wrote:
> --------> In the prerelease comments, store info, and some of the WD
> intro articles - "all your figures will be compatible" etc.

That's just the miniatures. A big part, but I never got the impression
they were linking the games.

> -------> I think the blast marker thing would have had some potential,
> and would be worth doing.

How? Linked to number of dice thrown? Would higher to-hits give more
blast markers? What about save mods? How would blast markers affect
shots? I'm not arguing it wouldn't work, but wondering how you would
tie it in to the rest of the system.

> ----------> I don't know if the game would've been any faster,
> but was that the big complaint?

It was for me. I'm sure that was partly the result of
non-standardization, but also of declaring all the targets of all the
weapons, and trying to remember which save mods and chances to hit I was
applying against which targets. Handling larger groups at a time (a new
detachment is bigger than an old detachment, in general) means I make
decisions for more models at a time. I'd teach people to play, and
they'd say they really like it, but it just took too long. I think the
games I play now take a little less time and use larger armies.

> A bit of standardization would've fit
> into a new system better than the different rules for every gun thing we
> had, and a little more checking of cross-effects of different systems
> (like the wave serpents vs void shields thing) would've certainly
> helped, though.

We used to have, as parameters for each weapon, number of shots, chance
to hit, save mod, and sometimes special rules. Now we've got number of
shots and special rules (which sorta all takes in save mod, in that you
can make a weapon with a save mod into an AT shot). I sorta wish we
could have gotten rid of just one of the parameters (accuracy or
damage), rather than both (aside from SHWs). In Epic 40K, I wouldn't
have minded throwing a pile of white dice with a few blue ones
representing save mod 1 weapons (number is really die result +1) and red
ones representing +2, or whatever.

By the way, what would you have thought about AT shots being implemented
that way? When your detachment shoots, figure firepower and number of
dice normally. Add one colored die for each AT shot. AT shots count as
one more than the number rolled, and may be placed like regular FP
dice. Maybe allow skipping over low armor targets, instead of having
them placed front to back. Either add 2 to firepower for blast marker
placement only, or use current SHW blast marker placement rules. Oh, I
also don't like AT shots
skipping cover. Megacannons, fine. Maybe even death rays.

andy

--
Andy Skinner
askinner_at_...