[Epic] Gene-seed 2 has launched!

From: Carl Woodrow <carl.woodrow_at_...>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 1998 03:35:24 -0000

Well folks, after a few days frantic coding Gene-seed has finally been taken offline and completely replaced with Gene-seed II. I have tested it on both Netscape and IE and all of the Shockwave scripts seem to be running fine now.

When I started Gene-seed originally I had intended to make it Epic 40K only. However my position changed somewhat, partially due to the lively discussions and input from the members on this list. What I aimed to do was to create a site that supported not only all variations of Epic on an equal and unbiased footing, but also set up something that went beyond the discussions on rules and cover material that could be of benefit to all Epic gamers regardless of which version they currently support. Gene-seed's current format could not hope to achieve this so I decided to bite the bullet and set about a complete redesign, trying to incorporate some of the suggestions that I had received.

This led me to incorporate two features in particular. Firstly Gene-seed now contains an Epic Gamers Contact Directory plus online submission form. The purpose of this is to allow gamers and clubs to advertise their locations and contact email address on the site, hopefully putting them in touch with other gamers and clubs in their area. Obviously there only a few names at the moment but the more people that add their details over time, the more useful it will become.

Secondly I have included a News Roundup page within the What's New section. The purpose of this page is to inform visitors what is happening on other sites in the Epic community beyond the insular confines of Gene-seed. Currently I have included five sites on this page Chris's "Liber Imperialis", Francois "L'ORDinateurs Homepage", Alen's "Epic Q&A", John's "The Stronghold" and the EPICentre (guys I hope you are all OK about this?). The News Roundup page is not intended as a links page (although it does perform that function also) as there is a separate 'shockwaved' links page which lists all of the above plus the other sites.

Gene-seeds objective first and foremost is to remain objective about all Epic material and help support the gaming system 'as a whole'...Because of this policy I have also come to an agreement with Peter Ramos to host a UK mirror of the NetEpic rules on Gene-seed. A downloadable version will be also available shortly from Dropship.

Basically, if it is concerned with Epic40K, 2nd Edition SM/TL or NetEpic then I am prepared to include or host it on Gene-seed. Likewise if you have ideas on modelling, conversions, painting, terrain building, building armies/detachments, strategies or new rules (all versions) then send it in and I can add it to the sites archives or the next issues of Dropship. Likewise if you are running a tournament and need to get the word out then drop me a line and I will add it to the News Roundup page.

"Gene-seed aims to be a site developed by Epic gamers for Epic gamers..."

You can visit the newly opened Gene-seed II at: http://freespace.virgin.net/carl.woodrow/epic/

Regards
Carl

Carl Woodrow - Gene-seed and Dropship Editor

Gryphonne IV Gene-seed
http://freespace.virgin.net/carl.woodrow/epic/