Re: [Epic] artillery was Unit Transformations from SM to E40K

From: Chris Miller <ironstar_at_...>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 1998 23:00:39 -0600

>> have become infested. Fine. So why does this work against
>> armor and titans in E40k? It shouldn't. But in E40k,
>
>Well, it is Nurgle, so they might consider it to have expanded to where
>the plague can rot armor, destroy circuits, etc if the war engine or
>vehicle doesn't go evasive.
>
>> (seperate from the weapon itself, that is - obviously ATs
>> and DRs are anti-armor, but should all Disrupt weapons, for
>> example, be equally effective against all kinds of targets?).
>
>A valid question, nevertheless. I've often wished some of those
>monofilament webs could tear into something.

-----------> Well for Nurgle, being the lord of decay and disease in a
technological universe leads down one road:
Computer virus!
Sometimes it's a body they fling,
Sometimes it's hostile nano-devices suspended in a glowing green goo...
(Think Borg & assimilation stuff. Works for me.)

>> Bombard shells should be able to crack open a titan without
>> much trouble; manticore rockets should not - and yet their
>> stats are the same in E40k (and neither of them are good
>> against titans or WEs).

--------> In their defense, I will say that today, artillery isn't really
that great against armor. Sure, given special ammo and surprise or
non-moving armor, they can hurt it, but normally artillery is pretty far
down the list of threats. It's not so much the killing power of the shell
which is lacking as it is hitting a moving target - artillery is pretty hard
to target a given area on the first shot, but to kill a moving target other
than an infantry horde is nigh-impossible. A near miss on infantry still
kills people, but a near miss on a tank is just a loud noise and a lesson to
keep the hatch closed. This will sort of work for even superheavy tanks,
but with titans, it kinda depends on how fragile you think they are.

>This is a great place for a special rule, though. I think GW only
>thought about the indirect fire/HE side of things. Allow artillery to
>fire direct if it has line of sight. Consider them to be using AP
>shells. Heavy arty gets one AT shot at half normal range. Siege arty
>gets two AT shots at half normal range. Sound reasonable?
------> Don't know, but there's got to be a simple way to work it in. A
simple AT shot for either one at half range would probably make it dangerous
enough, but this might make them more efficient vs infantry also (well,
infantry with a 4+ or better armor save) and I'm not sure that's what you
want. Trading a typical 2 fp barrage for an AT shot sounds pretty useful.
     Just to throw something else into the mix, how about adding the "close
support" to normal artillery as well (beehive or MP rounds - makes the gun a
giant shotgun up close)?

Chris Miller