Re: [Epic] Boxed Set

From: Thane Morgan <thane_at_...>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 00:07:52 -0700

COOK MATTHEW JOHN wrote:

> > > I just went into GW's Portsmouth store (UK) to look at buying some of
> > > the new ork sprues.
> > > I had a look at the back of the 5 pound box and had a look at the
> > > list of minatures.
> > > 1 Stomper
> > > 2 Nobz Stands
> > > 2 Shooty Boyz stands
> > > 6 Boyz stands
> > > I was somewhat supprised at the small amount, anyone outthere bought
> > > a box? How many sprues are in it? Are there less than in E40k boxed
> > > set?
> > There is ONE sprue in the box. In the E40k game box there are three of
> > those sprues in.
> > In the E40k box you get the content of 10 small boxes (5 marine, 5 ork).
> > As the game includes other stuff as well it is better to buy a new game
> > and share the contnt with your opponent.
> Oh dear I was right then, so that means I wont be buying any of those
> then at least not for a long time. Didn't realise they'd gone that
> far!
> So if you want to collect a new army how many boxes do you reckon
> you'l need if 1 box = 2 sprues, 12 maybe ie �60, and thats before you
> buy any metal stuff and after the game, OUCH.
> The price of metal allthough slightly higher now is nowhere near as
> expensive proportianaly compared to the old system then.
> Is there anyone on the list who has started after Epic 40k came out
> using new minatures? How much did they spend to get reasonable size
> army in a race other than orks or marines?
>
> ************************
> *** M J COOK ***
> ************************
> AKA: Ghaz,Ghazgkull,Mat,Sparrow,Cookie,Walter Tatum,
> Alberto Giovanni,Damien Black,Joshua,Dct Strank
> Peter Jones & some I can't remember!

I estimate that to build an army that will let you play games larger
than a skirmish and still be able to customize your force, you will need
~24-32 packs, so 240 to 320 bucks at suggested retail. Note that if you
make it this far, you probably won't be able to stop there.

I figure 10-15 plastic boxes to get ~ 4 - 6 detats
Probably 6-10 metal vehicle packs ( 2 to 4 detats, plus SH's)
probably 4 flyer packs
probably 2 or 3 titans (count as 2 or 3 each)(4-9 units)

Space marines and orks have a slight advantage, as you get a discount
for the rules box.

If it is possible, play with groups where sides can team up to make a
decent sized battle for less money, while you slowly build your forces.

If you're young, don't be afraid to beg Mom and Dad; the threat to a
loss of college money probably isn't real, and besides: the world could
end tomorrow, and wouldn't you feel stupid for saving money then.

Thane, the All-American Consumer