Re: [Epic] Unit Transformations from SM to E40K

From: J. Michael Looney <mlooney_at_...>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 05:04:17 -0600

Thane Morgan wrote:

> > Because the missle was not what hit the target. It exploded and the
> > fragments are what hit the target. Stopping shell fragments is what
> > tanks and APC armor is MADE to do. All of this assumes that GW has some
> > clue about how missle artillery works in IRL.
> > Oh? Then explain to me again why the bombard is a -3 and the
> basilisk a -2 with smaller shells. I figured any missile that big had got either
> a good guidance system or a hell of a lot of explosive. Sure, a lot of
> HE might not crack the armor, but if the tank is now sitting in a 50'
> crater it probably isn't going to be a factor for a while.

OK, assuming that it is based on the current MRLS system (yeah, I
know....) The missile is designed to do "Air burst" and scatters sub
munitions over the impact area. Lots of grenade sized things, not one
huge thing. Great way to kill infantry in the open, not so good against
armor.

Of course they do make anti armor sub munitions, but they are a some
what higher tech thing than your basic HE grenade. Given the general
decline in weapon technology of the WH40K universe, the loosing the
ability to to make effective anti armor sub munitions is not that big of
a stretch.

I don't believe I just wrote a "real world" justification for a _at_#$!@#$
GW weapon system. Of course the IRL version of the damn thing has a
range of 40 KM, which would mean that the damn thing is off board
artillery, not something that you put on the table to be charged by
infantry. It also has a min. range of like 5 klicks.

--
Sillyness is the last refuse of the doomed.  P. Opus
http://www.spellbooksoftware.com