Re: [Epic] Net Epic

From: Brett Hollindale <agro_at_...>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 00:52:04 GMT

At 04:00 PM 17/2/97 -0500, you wrote:
>At 10:17 AM 2/17/97 +0000, you wrote:
>>REMINDER
>>
>>THIS WEEKS TOPIC IS THE COMBAT PHASE
>>
>>MAINLY:CLOSE COMBAT AND THE PINNING RULES
>>

>>Up to now the opinion with more support is to keep the present pinning
>>rules with the addition of skimmer pins skimmer.
>>
>>Also we need more opinions on how to resolve large close combats where
>>one oponnent out numbers the other(the present way is confusing to
>>some).
>>

> OK situation: A Warlord titan on FF orders, is cc by 10 infantry stands.

First thing first...

You can't fit more than about 7 infantry stands around a titan's feet so
unless the infantry are jump troops (so that contacting the titan's base is
sufficient to get "multple attacker bonus") the remaining three stands are
wasted (in every sense of the word) as the titan rolls 2d6+12 (or even more)
against each of the stands in contact with its base but not in contact with
its feet...

>The titan gets
> some help from the aid of 10 bikes. Now in this situation, the Player
>with the titan
> outnumbers the attacker. It still has to fire it's FF shots but CAN'T
>fire at the
> attacking infantry because they are ALSO in CC with the bikes.

That's a bit harsh. I would allow titan to FF on any infantry in CC with it
even if the infantry is also in CC with friendly bikes...

>So the way to resolve
> this is to fight the CC between the bikes and the infantry first, then,
>whatever is
> leftover fights the titan. Take the surviving number of bikes and that
>will be the
> amount of dice that the infantry player gets in ADDITION to his 2
>standard dice.

This is not true in my understanding... You get extra dice IF your opponent
has fought in CC earlier in the turn. If the titan has the most forces in
the area, then his bikes will go first and any infantry that survive will
have fought a CC that turn and so the titan would get an extra dice in CC.
The second infantry stand that the Titan engages (rolls dice against) would
get a bonus dice and the third infantry stand would get two extra dice and
so on...

> The titan player will get extra dice too, it gets that many dice that
>equals the
> surviving number of attacking infantry.
> Now, if there are only 9 bikes counter-attacking the attacking
>infantry, the two
> sides will be even. In this case the titan is attacked first and
>seeing it will
> most likely die, just remove it from play along with the 10 attacking
>infantry
> and 9 counterattacking bikes.

What we (my gaming group) do here is that the player withthe most models in
CC chooses the order of CC, but if 10 infantry stands attack a titan and 5
bikes, it is quite possible for the titan + bikes side to gain the upper
hand (and start choosing the order of combat) after the first five stands
have attacked the titan and been defeated.

We THINK that this is what the rules say, and do not even consider this a
"house rule".

> BUT, if the titan is attacked by 2 or more TITANS, and the first titan
>looses and
> is NOT, killed, then the next titan would get the extra die. If the
>titan is attacked
> by 1 titan and 7 infantry, the defending titan and atacking infantry
>should be
> removed as the defending titan will be toast. ALSO, if say 8 bikes enter
>the previous
> situation, then the above rule of extra dice would apply. But, if they
>only counter-
> attack with 7 bikes, then, roll a die, on a 123 the defending titan, 7
>infantry and
> 8 bikes are removed from play and counted as dead. The lone attacking
>titan (have you
> read this far) is the ONLY survivor.

Yeah, but I'm not following too well!

> Now if the the afforementioned titan is on ADVANCE orders, he simply
>can NOT walk
> away, because he could hit the counterattacking bikes. Remember them? So
>roll a die
> and on a123 the titan carefully misses hitting any of the delicate
>troops. BUT if the
> roll is a 456, well, then some of the infantry and or bikes will be
>stepped on and killed.
> Roll a D6 for each stand in the titans path and on a 5 or 6 the stand is
>crushed/killed.
> On the roll of a 1, the stand (freind or foe) MUST MAKE AN IMEDIATE
>MORALE CHECK and
> if fails must move charge rate away from the enemy. If it can't then it
>is destroyed.
> The unit became SO panicked that it lost its way and died.
> Finally if the titan is on charge orders, it WILL crush anyone that is
>in it's path
> roll a D6 for each stand in it's path, on a 3456, the stand is killed on
>a roll of a
> one, as above.
> I hope that this will help in resolving those "sticky" situations
>involving large
> amounts of stands with a titan involved.
>
> Keith

I think that the current rules work pretty well, and it would be a huge
uneccessary complication to implement a case by case orders by orders CC
rule just for titans.

I don't approve of changing the CC rules as they stand, but if people do see
a problem, perhaps the simplest solution would be to say that "you cannot
engage a model you cannot pin" (although the model you cannot pin CAN squish
you like a bug if it chooses to engage YOU...) Skimmers would be a special
case to be dealt with separately...

Agro