Re: [Epic] WW2 with EPIC

From: Aaron Day <akkala_at_...>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 18:23:25 -0600

>I would "bend" the e40k rules a little more, like give the infantry
>2 for armor, instead of 3.

Well, I don't want infantry to be dying all over the place, thus allowing
some shooting matches but 1-6 doesn't give you much room to maneuver. I'll
have to play it both ways first.

>to make up for this, let soft cover(woods,etc) give them +1 armor,
>or if they are in hard cover(stone wall, building) give them +2 armor.

I like this alot

>the FP for the tanks main gun is a little low. also, rather than just
>using the barrel size in MM, you may fudge this to represent stuff like
>low velocity guns shooting HE were more effective the the hi-vel guns.

I was under the impression the 75mm HE was the same reguardless of what shot
it, also, I am afraid to make tanks too effective and too deadly to try and
keep the kill ratio down.

>I would raise some tanks (elephant, tiger2)armor up to 7, so the only way
>they would get hurt is by AT shots or close assault.

I gave them a save to represent reduced effectiveness of AP rounds. I wish
there was some way of representing immunity to small weapons fire to make
lightly armored vehicles more survivable to infantry shots (it would work
better if I used SM/TL)

>also, bring back the old rule on rear armor, has a lesser value than
>front.

Hmmm

>maybe use "deathray" to represent panzerfausts and tungsten ammo
>PF, range 10cm, 3+ deathray

I consider all things like PFs, Bazookas, Piats inherrent in all infantry
squads, thus explaining how they can kill tanks at all.

>I would double all ranges, if the unit has not moved(had time to aquire
>target) this goes for arty also, but use the foward observer stuff

Maybe increased range on Overwatch in lew of rerolling misses (which will
also serve to lower kill rates in shooting matches)

>the increased range isn't a problem in europe, and would represent
>some of those long range shooting matches in the east and in the
>western desert--like can the Honeys charge in fast enough to shoot before
>the 88mm tear them apart?

I never have enough terrain to have much effect in my EPIC battles.

>give the later german tanks an higher assault factor to represent that
>"close in defence launcher"-- however you say it in german, plus all
>tanks should have the assault value raised by 1, maybe 2 if the tank
>had the AA machinegun

I agree. Actually I intended to but never got around to finding out which
tanks actually had it. I dissagree about AA guns though, few tankers (except
Audy Murphy) would be not buttoned up at that range.

>I would give rocket arty and flame throwers "disrupt" as well as the FP

I want to use disrupt for things like chemical (White Phosphorous) mortors

                                             -- Aaron Day