[Epic] "Imperium get kicked in again" shock!

From: Colen 'Not Colin' McAlister <brother_morgan_at_...>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 1998 17:40:28 +0000

Those of you who are on the ball may remember my battle report from last
week; this one's a sort of followup to it.

We played a Dawn Assault scenario, with the large 3000pts. Me, the
Pointy Eared Gits, was defending, while an Imperial Guard army with a
few Space Marines was attacking. Detachments marked * started on the
table.

I had:
3 Scorpions*, 1 Cobra, 1 Revenant (in 3 dets)
4 Phoenix, 6 Nightwings (in 2 dets)
1 6 falcon, 3 Night Spinner det which never arrived
1 Aspect Warrior / Support Weapon det which also never arrived
1 Guardian / Wave Serpent det
1 Swooping Hawk / Warp Spider det*
1 Heavy Weapon / Night Spinner / Fire Prism det*
1 Jetbike / Vyper det*
1 Harlequin / Wave Serpent det*

He had:
1 Reaver, 3 Baneblades, 2 Shadowswords (3 dets)
3 Marauders, 5 Thunderbolts (2 dets)
1 Space Marine bike / landspeeder det
1 Artillery det
2 Tank dets
1 Supreme Commander det
1 Infantry det

Turn 1:
The Heavy Weapon dudes revealed themselves, damaging a Marauder as it
swooped down at them- two blokes and a falcon were killed. The imperial
army, apart from the Artillery, advanced. Gunz went off, someone brusied
their ankle, the heavy weapon dude detachment was cut down to about 4
models. Secure in their tanks, a Tank det got the sh*t kicked out of it
when some Harlequins (they had been hiding in their Wave Serpents)
popped out of cover and blew up 6 tanks. The jetbike detachment, feeling
cocky, got into a fight with the other tank det and the marines. The
inevitable failed to happen, and the tanks and marines were almost
laughed off the board as they lost.

Turn 2:
My Phoenixes swept from the sky, only to be intercepted by 5
Thunderbolts, which were intercepted by 5 Nightwings. Two of the
imperial fighters plunged to the ground in flames, damaging 2 of the
Nightwings in return. The thunderbolts continued their attack on the
Maraauders- one more was shot down by the Nightwing escort (a cunning
trick; my opponent had assumed it was a Nightwing masquerading as a
Phoenix) while the remaining two missed everything, and were shot down
by the bombers. D'oh! The Phoenixes continued on their mission, killing
some Marines. Again the imperial army advanced toward the Jetbikes,
which decided that discretion was the better part of valour and left for
warmer climes (i.e., wandered round a hill), leaving the Imperials
nothing to shoot at. The supreme commander moved between the artillery
and my swooping hawks, but was sent running home to his mum as most of
his det was vapourised by a canny Scorpion. Free of all restraint, the
Aspect Warriors charged the artillery and sent it running... toward the
harlequins. Oops. Late to arrive was a Guardian detachment, which
firefought the baneblades and won. Finally, a tank came up to fight my
one remaining Swooping Hawk (the rest had been wiped out by said tank
and cronies), and was summarily destroyed by, presumably, the krak
grenades and Laspistols of the swooping hawks (who had been about 10cm
away at the time).

Turn 3:
The Shadowswords lived up to their fearsome reputation by being
destroyed without firing a shot, by the popping-up Scorpions. The
almost-unharmed Tank detachment wiped the floor with my Guardians (I had
forgotten to move them outward, and my opponent fitted 5 under the
Griffon's template, then rolled a big bucket of 6's). The jetbikes came
screaming round the hill, damaged a baneblade and were slapped about.
Last to come on was a Cobra, which seriously damaged the lead Baneblade
with it's Gunz before being damaged itself. "Muahaha!" shouted the last
Swooping Hawk, who charged the artillery and sent it retreating toward
the harlequins, destroying all but one stand. The revenant killed the
sad, lonely remnants of the tank det in a firefight.

Turn 4:
The Reaver, having spent all day getting across the board, was assaulted
by the harlequins. The Cobra was sent tumbling from the sky by the last
Baneblade, but not before doing for another one, while Jetbikes
(Jetbikes!) blew another Baneblade to pieces. The Revenant fired
thousands of shots at the last remaining artillery piece, blowing it up.

Final result: Us about 30, them -6.

Notes:

The tank detachment that had been surprised by the Harlequins (they came
out from hiding in the assault phase, which totally confused my
opponent) had about 10 blast markers on it when it was destroyed.
The scorpions killed loads of men and two Shadowswords, while taking no
harm themselves (they spent all day hiding behind a hill).
The reaver spent all game shooting the Scorpions, which were just out of
range.
I got target fixation on the baneblades, which resulted in me having a
detachment wiped out.

--
Colen 'Not Colin' McAlister, wargamer extrordinaire     X
 http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Arena/4368/    OOOX===========>