Re: [Epic] War Engine Names

From: Thane Morgan <thane_at_...>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 18:46:28 -0700

Alan E & Carmel J Brain wrote:

> Chris Miller wrote:
>
> > ---------> Well, thanks back -like the name choices too. Although, this
> > does open you up to the Patented Chris Miller Annoyance & Morale Breaker
> > Tactic. This was developed in Star Fleet Battles and perfected in Epic and
> > Man O War.
>
> > Step 1) Engage opponent in coversation before the game, steering
> > conversation towards favorite pieces/mini's,
>
> > Step 2) When game starts, take every opportunity to pump up opponent's
> > attatchment to particular units
>
> > Step 3) Immedeatly concentrate all available firepower on the opponents
> > favorite target at the first opportunity.
>
> > Step 4) Once you kill the target, act like it was unexpectedly easy and
> > perhaps even apologetic
>
> Now that's interesting. Because I use a variant of that, called the
> "irresistable
> bait". You have one or two miniatures that are fairly tough, and paint
> them really
> well. The more effective stuff that's not so flashy, you paint
> adequately, and make
> fairly drab.
>
> Grab your opponent's attention with this Flashy Unit. Make sure it's in
> the centre
> of your line, and real close to the front.
>
> At the start of the game, watch your opponent concentrate all of his
> firepower on it,
> and not notice that it's the _other_ units that are taking objectives,
> killing units,
> and winning the game.

OK, my mind game. I like placing a good unit where the opponent will
want to try to shoot at it, but also where he won't be able to get
enough FP on it to hurt it much. Then when he wastes the Detat's fp, you
unload with a more mundane unit which was more vulnerable.

The other fun trick is to get him to chase the cool unit into a
crossfire/assault from weaker troops.

Thsi reminds me of a tennis variation a friend of mine played with me in
college. The goal was to get the other player to fall and injure himself
by chasing a ball. You had to place the ball where he couldn't hit it,
but where he thought he could hit it. We both ended up with a lot of
bruises from that.

Thane