Re: [Epic] Comments & observations on Epic 40k.

From: <duckrvr_at_...>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 09:50:02 -0600

At 03:03 AM 2/15/97 -0600, you wrote:

>Don't quote me on this, but I think they're dropping most of the models not
>in 40k. That would explain why the plastics are cheaper now - they don't
>have to include as many types. Funny that they would choose to abstract so
>many of the vehicles, but infantry types actually become more detailed in
>some cases, such as now being able to get Blood Axe Commandos. Bodes very
>ill. The ability to play 40k without the hassle of amassing such a large
>army huh? Yeah, real cool.

Why would they add infantry types when they are genericizing lesser demons
and aspect warriors?

>>> BRILLIANT NEW MINIATURES
>
>>Well, that's certainly better than "CRAPPY NEW MINIATURES". Though, I
>>suspect "EXPENSIVE NEW MINIATURES" would be more accurate.
>
>Yeah, like I mentioned earlier, a local gaming store of mine seems to have
>picked up a sheet somewhere detailing the way GWs planning on increasing
>prices on minis.

Has anyone else seen the new mini flier that is circulating. Quite
impressive. I would pay a little more for figs of that quality. Probably
not as much as they will ask, but a little more.

>>> Heavy
>>> tanks actually look, well, super heavy.
>
>>So now your old Super Heavy Tanks look, well, the wrong size.
>
>Well, if it weren't for making our miniatures obsolete I would actually view
>this as an improvement. In fact, I think I still do. Especially if I can
>still use my old miniatures and hide my super heavies behind rocks that the
>new ones would never fit behind. (wicked grin)

Works for me. I don't have any of the "old" size shvs. :)

>>> Even the Thunderhawk Gunship
>>> looks like it could actually transport a detachment of Space Marines!
>
>>At $14US each, I should hope so.

Absolutely. It ought to be big enough to actually place the stands inside
for that amount of money.

>>. PS. Game note: I wish they'd change the T-hawk rules so
>>that it could also carry Mole mortars, Rapiers, Tarantulas, and Thudd
>>Guns. Space Marines have an easy way of getting troops down to a planet,
>>but anything else has to walk (or take the dropship). Don't see why Heavy
>>Support weapons couldn't softland in T-Hawks.

Rapid insert methods are very poor for bringing in support weapons. If you
need support, take devastators, that's what they are designed for - troop
portable support.

>>> WHAT YOU GET
>>> The game itself comes with tons of stuff! You get 2 huge armies of
>>> Space Marines and Orks, complete with a large variety of forces (with
>>> Tactical Squads, Scouts, Terminators, Bikes, Boarboyz, Nobz, Gretchin,
>>> Stormboyz, Blood Axe Kommandos) and vehicles (Land Raiders,
>>> Whirlwinds, Battlewagons, Stompas).
>
>>I really don't need a "huge army" of Space Marines, thanks. (My space
>>Marine Chapter is more than I'll ever get to use at once).
>
>I really don't want or need a "huge army" of Space Marines _or_ Orks, thank
>you. I'm happy with my Eldar, Chaos and Tech Guard armies.

The marines can always be used with chaos. Besides, with the left over Ork
scraps from Space Marine and Titan Legions, combined with the figs in the
new box, I'll probably be able to field an Ork army for nothing more than I
would have paid for the rules.

>>> lots of really neat new building
>>> ruins (no more hotels anymore - this is Stalingrad in WWII!),
>
>>Ok. I have to look at this form a positive viewpoint -- I have 4 sets of
>>Space Marine (bought them for a steal, used) so I have PLENTY of "hotels".
>>Just hope their not just cardboard (the Titan Legion ones looked good, but
>>kinda sucked in that regard.)
>
>I've seen pictures of the new buildings. They look pretty sweet. Gothic.
>Ruined. Perfect buildings for the wartorn galaxy of the 41st millenium that
>knows only war.

Cool, Variety alwasy helps, too.

>>> 3-D Blast
>>> Markers, Range Rulers (in metric, of course), special dice, templates,

I like this idea. Especially since we always argued over dimensions of
Eldritch storms, positions for troops in buildings, etc.

Temp