Re: [Epic] RGMW Newsgroup.

From: Thane Morgan <thane_at_...>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 23:50:46 -0700

Mark A Shieh wrote:

> Thane Morgan <thane_at_...> writes:
> >> Chaos vs Nids (in case you haven't guessed, these two cases are real
> >> sticking points with me).
> >
> >Never lost this battle as chaos. Lots of minotaurs and trolls (I've
> > killed several
> > dominatrixes with trolls and minotaurs). Lords of battle for the
> > psychic save. As
> > always, lots of chaos marines. Mortarion could rip through a swarm
> > with his plague
> > wind. A few warhounds/subjugators to pin dominatrixes so the horde
> > could swarm in
> > with clubs and axes.
>
> This I have to hear. How did you manage to kill the Dom with
> minotaurs, let alone trolls? The only way to get the minotaurs moving
> faster than 20 (average 15 or so for trolls) is to put them in a
> Plague Tower, and that just screams target for a psychic barrage. I
> mean, sure, if they get there, it can't be that hard to take down a
> Dom, but getting there is Chaos's big problem for half of its troops.
>
> Mark

I've done this at least 2 times, and maybe three.

Basically, I try to sty out of the way of the DOM, giving her no
valuable targets to shoot at. I instead try to break as many swarms as
possible, to reduce the number of hive mind cards she gets each turn.
The minotaurs generally advance from cover to cover, with regards to the
dominatrix. Most tyranids are inferior to minotaurs in CC, so if he
wants to break his units on the minotaurs, thats cool with me.

This draws the Dominatrix forward, trying to get a line of sight on
something relatively valuable (I usually take only a reaver battlegroup
in large games, or a single reaver in small point games. These are bait
for Biotitans and Doms. Warlords have almost never done anything for me
against tyrannids, except give them a TON of pooint upon their death.
Lords Of battle also work, and sometimes better).

When the minotaurs are close to the dom, pin her with something. I
usually take something like warhounds or knights for this task, as they
are fast enough to get there from cover without getting too badly shot
up. Then the minotaurs are free to swarm until their hearts content; you
can fit A LOT of minotaurs around a dominatrix base. The Dom will
usually use her warp field instead of her psychic blast; even if she
kills the expensive unit pinning her, she's still stuck with 7 or 8
minotaurs. If it's late in the game, blow a bunch of cards to rub it
in. The fourth one should start doing damage, and after the 6th or
seventh the dom has 15 or so wounds.

It's OK to sacrafice more points on killing a dom. The tyranids depend
highly on their hive mind for a lot of troops, so once she dies, it's
practically a mop up opperation. Some times its even worth sacraficing
some knights to just pin her, sucking up shots and psychic attacks while
keeping her away from more valuable troops. Also, if the bitch has been
arrogantly left alone, you can sometimes keep her pinned several turns
with a warhound; sure it usually loses CC, but she still has to roll a 5
or 6 for damage to become unpinned.

My two tyrannid opponents started escorting her with genesteallers,
slowing this tactic down some. She also did this when chaos marines
would surround her from T-hawks and kill her on the first turn.

Another important tactic is NOT to overkill when going into hand to hand
vs. normal broods. You don't need to put 2 or 3 minotaurs per lictor;
you start at +1, and a few cards can bring that up more. The odds are
good that you will break the brood, and that is more important than
killing every last member of the squad. And it really SUCKS when the
acid blood card is played, wiping out your minotaurs even when you win
the attack.

Summarizing:

Thane's two laws of bug squishing -
1) The first few rounds must be spent breaking broods; stay out of the
way of the big bugs. This lowers the power of the hive mind cards, which
is often much scarier than anything else the bugs have got. It also
helps out LOBs, as the extra +1 to saves and the extra die in CC can
make a big difference.

2)When you decide to go after the big bugs, go after several at once. It
is very demoralizing to put 30+ wounds on a biotitan which gets a
regeneration card. Especially if the bastard ends up playing it again
the next round when you kill it again.

I hope this provides hours of sadness to your bug opponents.

Thane