Re: [Epic] RGMW Newsgroup.

From: Thane Morgan <thane_at_...>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 20:23:47 -0700

To anyone who bitches about why the content is so poor on mail groups,
here is a great example. People disbelieve your tactics, you try to
explain them, they claim you play bad opponents.

Thane's reply

Scott Shupe wrote:

> Thane Morgan wrote:
> >
> > > Chaos vs Eldar loaded with warlocks & prism cannons.
> >
> > Beat this a vast majority of the time. Lots of chaos marines, lots of juggers and
> > bloodthirsters, Lords of Battle for the psychic save. Chaos bikers. Doomwings down
> > the flanks.
>
> This one is winnable, but it's still tough, especially
> if you don't want to take the mostly chaos marine shooty army.
> When I've faced eldar I'm generally up against a
> sit-back-and-shoot type force, which is hard as hell for chaos
> to handle; the only place your CC guys can hide is in forests,
> the pop-ups will see everything else. And if you do reach the
> back line, you can't pin anything and it all just relocates.

Which is why you take the marines, which I think was my point. You use
the CC guys where they have to come to you.

> > > Chaos vs Nids (in case you haven't guessed, these two cases are real
> > > sticking points with me).
> >
> > Never lost this battle as chaos. Lots of minotaurs and trolls (I've killed several
> > dominatrixes with trolls and minotaurs).
>
> What I'm really talking about is these kinds of games
> against someone of equal skill. From the comment above, it
> seems pretty certain that the 'nid players you've faced aren't
> all that great - anyone who advances their Dom to be within
> charge range of minotaur warbands deserves what they get. And
> anyone who didn't see it coming doubly deserves it... I can
> maybe see this working once, but if you keep managing to do it
> time after time...

The 'nid player"s" were both very good; I drew them into charge range
with bait or threat; either take the chance or have your dominatrix do
nothing the whole game; or move the dom away from a more obvious threat.
I'm sorry if some don't "get" this concept.

Its real easy to sit back and say "if anyone loses to that tactic, they
must be stupid." I'm not impressed.

> > Lords of battle for the psychic save. As
> > always, lots of chaos marines. Mortarion could rip through a swarm with his plague
> > wind.
>
> Which is why I generally see the swarms stay away from
> good old Mort... the problem with most of the GDs is that in
> order to not get killed by the Doms they have to stay in cover...
> which usually means they don't have LOS to targets within range.

Precisely. Keep mort in a forward forest, which you use as cover for
your long range snipers just behind it.

> > A few warhounds/subjugators to pin dominatrixes so the horde could swarm in
> > with clubs and axes.
> >
> > > Any army without fast attack units (like bikes) vs any army with loads
> > > of fast attack units (the power of bikes is another problem I have with
> > > SM/TL).
> >
> > Keep expensive infantry in buildings.
>
> BOOM! Aieeeee!!! <- sound of building full of
> expensive infantry going down.

Build better buildings. The eldar didn't have a lot of building killers,
and the building killers were usually pretty limited in affecting
anything else.

> > Cheap infantry buffers; Guard your titans
> > and tanks with infantry. If nothing else, keep someone on advance nearby to make
> > the opponent pay for his kills on your units.
>
> This one is possible as well, but again it's tough
> because bikes are cheap, can strike just about anywhere on
> the board, and have high CAFs. Without a similar force of
> your own, they're free to concentrate on any point of your
> army while you're sitting around in buildings and slowing
> your tanks down by surrounding them with infantry.
>
> My point is, that not all armies are created equal
> in SM/TL - your battle is can be easier or tougher depending
> on your and your opponent's army selections.
>
> > Good tactics could win out against these cheese armies on a regular basis. The
> > people who beat me regularly did not do it with any of this crap; they did it with
> > normal armies well played.
>
> I agree that army selection is not the be-all and
> end-all of the game; I've beaten a number of cheesy armies
> played by less than amazing generals. I was disputing
> your contention that army selection counts in E40k and
> that it does not in SM/TL.

That was not my contention. I'm saying army selection counts much more
in E40k than in sm/tl, and that balance was more effective than cheese
when well played.