Re: [Epic] SM/TL Tarantulas

From: Brett Hollindale <agro_at_...>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 1998 23:59:47 +0100 (MET)

At 05:47 PM 26/2/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Miller, Chris wrote:
>>
>> ------> Ok, new proposition: Is 1000 points of tarantulas better than a
>> Reaver Titan Battlegroup?
>> I would say no, but looking at the number of shots vs the number of void
>> shields, oooh. One battery per titan , and you can double up on two of
>> them,
>
> Tarantulas are 100 points for 5 stands. That's 10 batteries
>total, 3 on two of the Reavers and 4 on the last. Total of 50 shots
>in FF, 50 in advance. Of course, they're also rather immobile and
>easily assaulted. And you'd need 50 tarantulas unless your opponent
>is exceedingly gracious.

What you say may be true in a 1000pts vs 1000pts face off. (Although if the
tarantulas charge in the first turn, the reavers are in a bit of strife -
takes two turns to back off you know...) but realistically, consider the
points expenditure as part of a larger force. Say 1000pts out of your 4000.
1000pts to put a line of tarantulas along your deployment line that is VERY
likely to kill ANYTHING that advances more than 5cm in front of the enemies
deployment line is a very little point expenditure for some "A" grade
firepower...

I think it qualifies as "obscene", but hey - I play for fun! If it was my
actual mundane life on the line on that battlefield I'd sure want the very
best robotic point defense weapons that money could buy (and a LOT of 'em)!

Agro