Re: [Epic] SM/TL vs E40K unit costs

From: Brett Hollindale <agro_at_...>
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 1998 14:14:47 +0100 (MET)

At 02:21 PM 3/3/98 -0600, you wrote:
>Aaron wrote:

>> > "using the same detachments we use now": impossible. Read the SM2 rules.
>> > points costs: hmmm.... would say units cost about 1/2 to 1/4 in E40k than
>> > they did cost in SM2
>>
>> I know it violates the army card rules, I was just wondering if it would
>> result in a good fight.
>>

>Oh, are you going to get it.
>
>Don't you know that GHOD himself came down From On High and DEMANDED
>that ALL TRUE BELIEVERS
>use CARDS to design their Armies. To Do Other Wise Is Not HOW it is
>DONE. You MUST NOT play the HOLY VERSION with OUT using CARDS.
>
>Side Note/rant:
>Why is it that people who play 2nd ed, for what ever their personal
>reason rant at Epic 40K players for being "Blind Followers of GW", when
>in fact to play 2nd Ed fully by the rules, you MUST blindly follow what
>GW thinks an army should look like. Not a flame, just a question.

To answer the question, playing a game by the rules of that game does not
make one "a blind follower", but ceasing to play a game because the almighty
GW wants to squeeze you for some more bucks IS a bit different...

To address the between the lines issue of armie cards:

Once in a while, even the blind monkey finds the banana...
Which is to say that once in a while even GW has a good idea.

You see, EPIC is more than a rule set, it's a complete universe. "The
fluff" is what makes EPIC great. Oddly, the cards are part of that fluff.

The fluff tells us that the way combat is conducted has been passed down for
generations in tomes called The Codexes...

What it comes down to is that anything that needs to be included in the rule
set that doesn't make logical sense is included as a quotation from "The
Codex such-and-such".

I would guess that the cards are there for game balance - to attempt to
force generals to avoid "cheesing out" (you know what I meen...)

Agro