Re: [Epic] Rants. Was SM/TL vs E40K unit costs

From: Los <los_at_...>
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 1998 18:29:16 -0500

J. Michael Looney wrote:

> can, in most cases, eat a squad for lunch. Most command vehicles in the
> real world are not even armed. A commander should be directing the
> fight, not be the main point of the army.

That depends on the level of commands. In the US Army Battalion Commanders,
XOs and S3s all have their own personal IFVs or tanks, depending on whether
they are mech or armored.

Directing the battle does not mean being out of LOS of the action, especially
in NTC/JRTC type actions. While it doesn't mean leading from teh front as
theboneheads in the warhammer universe, it does mean being very much in harms
way. That is what leadership is about. Commanders want to SEE what's going on
not just read about it on their computer screens.

JRTC/NTC shows us that in battle, it's imprtant that both battle staffs (each
battlaion has two, one reloactaing and the other fighting the battle) remain
high value targets very much sought after by the enemy. It's also a truth that
the farther you are from the fighting the less control you have over it. This
diminishes the farther up the chain you go, but most 40k battles are
essntially company and battalion sized actions

As far as not being able to hit commanders until you churn through all the
fodder in front of them, I fall into the category that believes they should be
vulnerable, either to vehicles with AT shot capabilities or to units like
Marine scouts or ratling Snipers.

Los