RE: [Epic] Rants. Was SM/TL vs E40K unit costs

From: Miller, Chris <CMiller_at_...>
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 1998 17:58:33 -0600

> > So, it's a compromise. We
> > think the game looks better this way, but we think sniping all the
> > leaders detracts from the fun of the game, so we're going to make
> this
> > rule, giving us the best of both worlds. If you don't have this
> rule,
> > then command units are always targeted first, and it's a valid,
> though a
> > bit cheesy,
>
> Cheesy? Sounds fairly intelligent to me, if it's
> allowed.

        -------> Yeah, I tend to nail "cheesy" as distasteful, and
something I won't do unless forced, but which is allowed and perhaps
encouraged under the rules. Marines & IG mixed in one force - fine. The
All-Death Company assault force backed by the 20 Basilisks + 6 vortexes
I find a bit cheesy. Super-Characters in WH40K.

> > tactic as the rules allow it. So you get a nasty exchange of
> > fire as soon as people get into range, all the officers fall dead,
>
> And the other officers in the army learn to stay back
> behind the lines, safe in their Leviathans, instead of running
> around with the grunts where they can be captured or killed.
> While WWII might have been more entertaining if the European
> conflict ended with Hitler, decked out in Nazi super-armor
> (ref Wolfenstein 3D), slugging it out with a similarly armed
> and armored Eisenhower, things didn't pan out that way...
Heh - now _there's a miniature game.
"Now available - Eisenhower in Mk XXIII Crusader Suit with Flame Cannon
and Der Fuhrer in Exterminator Battleshorts wielding Electric Toothbrush
of Doom!!!"
At least some people could get their swastikas...
> Not
> that I'm neccessarily arguing for more realism in GW games,
> but I find it strange that in WH40k and the like, commanders
> are on the front lines slaughtering grunts in hth combat
> rather than sitting in a bunker directing the overall strategy.
> Sure, it's fun to run around with a superhero on the board
> causing vast amounts of mayhem, and sitting in a bunker isn't
> very heroic, but putting your leaders in a position to be
> easily captured or killed just so they can dice up some troops
> with their lightning claws doesn't seem to be particularly
> intelligent.

-------> Hey, it's romanticized and overly dramatized combat, not this
sterile, pushbutton videogame wars we have now. (well that's what the
news guys say. I'm sure then foot guys lugging full kits while bullets
whiz overhead would differ a bit. Hell, they'd probably like to see a
colonel out there with an M249 screaming 'Eat Lead" or something.)
Makes a better story. In this universe, the leaders are the guys who
kick the most ass...and just imagine how tough the guys actually sitting
in the bunkers are...

Chris Miller