Re: [Epic] Rants. Was SM/TL vs E40K unit costs

From: Jason Stephensen <J.Stephensen_at_...>
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 1998 12:01:12 +0000

At 09:00 05/03/98 -0500, you wrote:

>Exactly (thought I would say hello to all by getting into this one :) !
>
>Look, the whole GW thing is screwed up - but it is a game. It is not a
>simulation of real combat. It does not follow the rules the rest of the
>world does/would. It has NEVER claimed to. All of you who are upset about
>'that doesn't make sense' are trying to play a different game by GW rules.

As I remember Chad has managed to sum up the argument here pretty well. GW
is not a good representation of reality when it comes to combat. I don't
think it ever has tried to. When you want realism change games. Play the
game for fun. If you don't have fun don't play it. My God I almost defended
GW.

>I suggest to those who don't like the 'that isn't realistic' part of any GW
>game (Epic here) should go check out Dirtside II from GZG. That is a
>little more of the realistic future mini game you are looking for. Just
>use your Epic Figs and you will do just fine (there are rules for unit/mini
>construction so you won't have any problem).

Yep, Dirtside is a great game in the same scale is a far more realistic
game. You have titans in that and expect them to get toasted damn quick.
East to hit something THAT big.

>If the Super Hero in WH40K really bothers you then try Star Grunt II (I
>think it is II anyhow) also by GZG.

Yep it's up to two. Bugs don't surf isn't out yet. And agin it is great for
realism and a truly great game.

>The point is, Epic (or any GW game for that matter) is not trying to show
>realistic future combat. It is showing how combat works in the fictional
>GW universe (much like a comic book roleplaying game perhaps shows how
>people live in a comic book universe). And with that in mind it does a
>pretty good job.

I agree. The game is there for the fun of the players. Regardless of
whether you are pro or anti GW the whole object of the game is to have fun.
If not dump it.

>Just a thought.
>
>Chad (was gone, now I'm back)

Ditto, like the peculiar smell that came from my friends old lounge.
                 Colonel Abrahms, 22nd Oceania Regiment
                  "He dosen't know what he wants.
                          He's Insane"
                email J.Stephensen_at_...