Re: [Epic] Range and scale (was Rumours R Us)

From: Joseph Looney <mlooney_at_...>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 15:19:50 -0600

Bayani R Caes wrote:

> Let me see if I have this right:
>
> Epic is on the 6 mm scale, 40K on (for the sake of simplicity) 30 mm
> scale. Which means something (say, a lasgun) that fires 24 inches
> (circa 60 cm) in 40K should fire 60cm*(6mm/30mm)=12 cm in Epic.
>
> Is this why old IG tac stands (which shoot 50 cm) used to have a
> lascannon model in them, and old heavy stands had many lascannons in
> them? (Or so I've been told.)

No, you are confusing figure scale with ground scale. Most war games
mix the two. For example, the WWII game that I play (CD II) uses either
1/72 scale 15mm scale or 1/285 scale figures. The ground scale is
1/1000 regardless.

It appears that WH40K has the larger of the 2 games ground scale.
Yeah, that's GW design for you. The little battle/raiding game table
covers more simulated ground than the "hugh major battle" game does.

For what it is worth, in WH40K, Rogue Trader, they give a ground scale
of 1 inch = 2 meters, which, aside from being an _weird_ mix systems,
comes out to 1/78 scale, or about HO scale for those train fans out
there.

If we assume that in fact the 2 systems have the same scale, and that
weapon ranges were "rounded off", my rant about weapon range is VERY
understated. On that scale, a 100 meter target is 125cm, more or less.
I can state with a great deal of assurance that 100 meters is small
arms range, not long range artillery range.