Re: [Epic] Space Fleet (off topic, well sort of)

From: Thane Morgan <thane_at_...>
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 1998 19:43:55 -0700

Chris Pinson wrote:

> Greetings all,
>
> during the Karak Dur campaign, Al and I often lamented the lack of a space
> combat game to provide added flavour for planetary landings etc. Well, I
> have decided to re write the space fleet rules to cover this. I will shift
> the emphasis of the game more towards transports and fit the rules into an
> E40K template. By this I mean the rules will be very similar to the E40K
> rules (in fact I am considering treating the space craft in a similar
> fashion to war engines).
>
> I would like people's opinions, do you think this is a good thing to waste
> my time on???
>
> When it is ready for testing are people willing to give it a try???
>
> Cheers, Chris.
>
> ------------------------------------------------We tried incorporating space rules for an earlier epic campaign, and it
was really tough. If someone gets Space Superiority, the ability to shut
down an opponents resupply can really ruin the game. It is also tough to
get the scale right; the points which would be reasonably expected to be
worth a space battle can really throw a game into a lopsided spanking
very quickly.

The best chance I can see to make it work would be to have two large
fleets which WILL NOT engage each other for fear of MAD, but whom send
maybe 10 to 15 thunderhawk load's to key points on the map, which can be
intercepted by opposing fighters. We've played several such smaller
missions of GSC, and the points seem OK, but if you get to the point of
landing several companies at once you can get really hosed if the space
phase goes bad, making the land battle a pointless slaughter.

Good luck though.

Thane