Re: [Epic] Pods and Hawks

From: A. Allen McCarley <allen_at_...>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 13:02:58 -0600

> > Generally, I agree with you. However, THawks do have certain advantages
> > and I often use them.
> >
> > 1) Precision. As you say, this is marginal.
>
> Yeah, and the need to avoid overflying a herd of small things with guns
> to get to tasty bits in side.

Given the current rules allowing flyers to enter from any table edge, I
usually don't have too much troubel getting to where I want to be
without overflying much.

> > [laying down blast markers]
>
> Ah, that dosen't add up. 3 x 8 = 24 div by 2 for transport = 12 = 1
> (one) blast marker. If I recall the table correctly. If not, it's 2
> (two). I KNOW it is not 3 (three)

Actually, you determine how many blast markers you lay down before you
halve the firepower. Same thing with using assault orders, or reducing
your firepower for the number of blast markers you own.

> > 3) Delayed arrival. When your reserves in Drop Pods show up, they land.
> > Right now. Nothing you can do about it. While I've never tried this
> > myself, I believe the rules state that any flyers on intercept orders
> > can loiter if there are no targets you wish to engage with them. You
> > might want to give you THawks intercept orders on turn 2 so that you
> > could delay landing your troops until turn 3 or later.
>

> You can't land on intercept orders. While the rules do not state that
> you can't change orders from turn to turn for flyers, I would pitch a
> bitch if some one put t-hawks on intercept on turn 2, loitered (yes your
> right you can do that), then changed to transport on turn 3, with a a
> RTB inbetween. Cheese is not the least thing I would say.

First, what's an RTB?

Would you really consider this cheesey? Objections to this caught me by
surprise. Keep in mind that by delaying my arrival by another turn I've
probably kept a couple hundred points off the table for another 25% of the
game. They already lost 25% by not being able to enter on turn 1, now I'm
forcing them to miss turn 2.

Sure, I'm doing so because I have a plan for using them more efficiently
on turn 3. Or, at least I hope it will be more efficiently. If I were the
enemy, however, I'd be glad to have another turn free of the interference
of these transports and troops and to have more time to prepare for their
arrival on the next turn. I could understand (and enjoy) seeing a debate
over whether or not people thought it was worth it to delay your tropps'
arrival, but I didn't expect the see someone call this cheese.

Just out of curiosity, why would you feel that this is a broken tactic?

> In fact, Q&A person, why don't you ask the dudes that?

Sure, no problem. Of course, first I have to prod Jervis into answering
the last letter I sent off several weeks ago.

> They have allowed weirder things (scouts from pods coming to mind)

Amen to that objection, brother. Methinks Warwick is trying to give
old Gavin a run for his money in the power-gaming category.

Allen (The Q&A guy)
Check out the EPIC and EPIC 40K Q&A Pages at:
     http://work1.utsi.edu:8000/~amccarle/default.html

Mirrored by J. Michael Looney at:
     http://www.spellbooksoftware.com/allen-mirror/default.html