Fwd: [Epic] TH vs Bugs: Turn 6 SITREP

From: Mark A Shieh <SHODAN+_at_...>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 23:44:10 -0500 (EST)

---------- Forwarded message begins here ----------

Date: Wed, 29 May 1996 17:59:01 +1000
To: space-marine_at_...
From: aebrain_at_... (Alan E Brain)
Subject: Re: [Epic] TH vs Bugs: Turn 6 SITREP

SITREP for Turn 6:

My Bug opponent has failed to save vs Schoolwork, so I'm awaiting him to
re-surface, hopefully within a few days.

All of the below is my 'view' of what's happened, and may or may not be
accurate from my opponent's viewpoint.

Bug Deployment: A 'Gun Line' on a ridge, slightly left of centre, consisting
of Exocrines, a few token Zoanthropes, Tyrannid Warriors, and
shooty-equipped Bio-Titans (the big ones). Detachments to take care of the
objectives on the Bug half of the table. The great mass of manoeuvre groups
right in the middle, amidst a very large building complex.

Chaos Deployment: Lotsa Greater Daemons in a line behind a ridge and in
woods, interspersed with a solitary Rhino detachment and a few (5) Slaanesh
Fiends.

Turn 1: Bugs advance and take up firing positions in the town, with a
commanding position held by the Harridan and Bio Titan. 2 Dominatrices with
2 Hive Tyrants, 6 Carnifexes, plus sundry Tyrannid Warriors, Gargoyles,
Genestealers, Termagents etc advance through the middle, though most are on
FF. Chaos does very little - the dance of the GDs, losing the Rhinos and
playing many cards to save a GD in the first test of fire. Tyrannid warriors
are now almost at the halfway point, and are on FF (due to a great use of a
card). Bugs start their Psi Barrage Bombardment of the GDs in the woods,
using the Harridan as spotter.

CHAOS : 15 VPs (one objective not taken), BUGS : 2 VP (Rhino unit expunged)

Turn 2: Chaos in full retreat(losing initiative), back to the woods slightly
left of his centre, having had his tentacles singed. Genestealers advance
over half way down the table, gargoyles supporting Harridan in its dominant
fire position, further covered by Tyrannid Warriors. 2 Trygons start
advancing on the Bug's left, the Dominatrices continuing along one left of
centre, one right of centre.

CHAOS : 15 VP. BUGS 2 VP

Turn 3: Chaos continues to retreat(losing initiative). Advance of Bug SHVs
as per last turn, the Trygons firing their barrages 50 and 60 cm, over a
hill and into the retreating GDs on the other side, blowing away quite a few
cards. Dominatrices advance again, various parts of the town getting rubbled
by BTs and Doms Firepower.

CHAOS : 15 VP. BUGS 2 VP.

Turn 4: Chaos continues to retreat(losing initiative...). BUT in a sudden
burst of activity, 3, count 'em, 3 Thunderhawks fly onto the table. One
lands directly beneath the Hierophant in the centre, and disgorges enraged,
tentacled, and explosively flatulent World Eaters led by a somewhat nervous
Chaos Champion who proceed to dice the BT into very tiny pieces indeed, and
then stamp on the pieces. The corpse is legless, weaponless, and generally
crippled even if it had regenerated the 100 or so wounds it took..(it
didn't) The World Eaters then got targetted by many, many shots each, and
their corpses become indistinguishable from the bloody mush that was the BT.
The other two THs fly to the edge of the woods on the bugs left, and
disembark a squad of the Alpha Legion (Slaanesh) and the Death Guard ... who
promptly get wiped out ALMOST to a man by the Trygons, who execute a 90
degree left turn and fire incredible distances again, with unerring accuracy.

CHAOS : 22 VPs (7 for the BT). BUGS 10 VP ( 3 THs, 1 Squad broken, not wiped)

Total Casualties: 1 Hierophant, vs 3 THs, 1 Chaos Champ, 13 Stands of CSMs.

Turn 5: Chaos stops retreating,even though it lost initiative AGAIN and
advances to the edge of the woods - and a Greater Unclean One promptly gets
incinerated by the Dominatrix luring on the edge of the town on the Bug's
right. Bugs settle down after last turn, Trygons continuing to advance, the
Genestealers guarding the objective to the Bug's right leaving their
position, since the attack there appears to have failed.

CHAOS : 22 VPs, BUGS 16 VPs ( 6 for the GD...)

Turn 6: Chaos WINS INITIATIVE! Bug player realises that he is maybe a little
extended, the Genestealers go back in the woods, the Dominatrices etc hunker
down into defensive positions covered by interlocking fields of fire and
Carnifexes/Genestealers covering their Asses, the Trygons.... well, the Bug
Player calls Time Out, and part way through his move, is unavoidably
detained for a while.

The Bug player realises that any attack is likely to be like the one on Turn
4: a lightning thrust, with great overkill, on a specific well-placed or
VP-rich objective. Maybe more than one. So far the bulk of his forces have
been kept at bay on First Fire by the threat of 17 or so Thunderhawks coming
in, despite winning initiative for 4 consecutive turns.
The Chaos player is still amazed at the shootiness of the Bug army. Sure,
its been pinned on First Fire, but the thought of 30 shots right in the
middle of the table hitting on a 5 or 6 vs 17 THs is enough to give him
pause. Plus the 2 shots at 100 cm range from the BTs, and the 12 at 75cm,
and the 23 at 50 cm from the back line... Had it not been for the fact that
this battle was supposed to demonstrate the Cheeziness of THs, he would have
taken 2 Warhounds fitted with Multi-use missile launchers with a 100cm
range. As it is, the table is 140 cm wide: too wide for the THs to get into
CC with the Bugs at the back in one turn. Never mind, his faith in
ThunderCheese is only slightly shaken: he now has his first turn when he
both has initiative, and targets within reach.

------------------------- C++ - The APL of the future
| Alan & Carmel Brain | Unix - THE operating system for the 1980's!
| Canberra Australia | C - Structured Portable Assembler
------------------------- Ada83/95 - For when your life depends on the Program
                          Z gauge - Small is Beautiful