Re: [Epic] General painting stuff

From: Thane Morgan <thane_at_...>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 20:49:26 -0700

Tyler Provick wrote:

> pentacle_at_... wrote:
>
> > Ok, I am getting tired of seeing incredibly minute details in GW studio
> > army minis that no matter how hard I try I can not copy.
> >
> > First are their super fine white ink pens that coat citadel paints?
> >
> > Second, is there a place that sells really small decals?
> >
> > Lastily Do they make special dry brushes, just for GW painters, that work
> > so well on Epic models?
> >

> Trying to live up to GW standards is both admiral, and incredibly stupid. Talk
> about totally shattering you confidence.
>
> I try, but I can't, and get upset. If I just painted the best I could I'd
> probably be happy (But not as good a painter) It's sort of a double edged
> knife.
>
> A single dog hair is rumoured to work well for detail
>
> Painting white, then painting colours over it to leave a small line is easier
> then painting a small line.
>
> GW actually relies on drybrushing less then it appears. IME the better I got,
> the less I drybrushed. I started relying more on painting on highlights for a
> smoother finish. With Epic Marine Tanks a nice light drybrush of the correct
> colour will do.
>
> There are two things that can be wrong with your drybrush.
>
> Paint is too dry, it gets clumpy
>
> Paint is too wet, too much goes on and smears
>
> Bristles are too long and control is hard, trim, TRIM, not cut bristles 'cause
>
> Bristles too short, your actually tearing more paint off then putting on,
> throw out brush.
>
> A steady hand and paitient brushing works, as well as checking the paint on a
> dried blotch on your palette or your fingers to decide if you need to change
> the consistency of the paint, or take more off the brush.
>
> Oh yeah, and except for Epic models I hate the results of drybrushing on
> anything other the armour or hair/fur.
>
> Tyler
> Trying to sum all his knowledge into one quick guide

I use Dry brushing religeously. I find I get great results on faces,
guns, leathery skin, cloth and just about anything else. My only
sugestion would be to use at least two "layers" of dry brushing,
lightening each. You get much more depth than just one layer.

Thane

I suspect that some of the white dwarf/box pictures get retouched to
bring out even more highlights.