RE: [Epic] Liber Imp & cookies

From: Miller, Chris <CMiller_at_...>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 12:52:27 -0600

> My head bean counter sends out about 3 a week with all sorts of "Don't
> read e-mail" messages attached. The latest one is "Win a Holiday",
> but
> instead of comming from IBM, as most of them claim, this one was "Just
> announced yesterday" from Micosoft. I get so tired of these, given
> that
> his department once called us saying "Our computers are not working".
> Seems that some one had plug in a heater to the same electrical line
> as
> powered all 6 of their computers, scanners, color laser printers and
> other odds and ends. The heater kicked on, the breaker went to Mexico
> on holiday and the computers stopped working. "Call Tech Support!!!".

        -------> That last bit sounds like a definite tech support
problem... : )

        I just got another round of that Holiday Virus myself.
"Microsoft just announced" etc. Checking the site below, I guess a lot
of people are

        One great site for everyone out there who gets something which
may be legit but isn't sure is this one:
        http://kumite.com/myths/

        It's the "Virus Myths Homepage" and is chock full of useful
information about false information. It also covers "false authority
syndrome" which is another big problem with technology in general and
the internet in particular.

        Anyway, don't mean to veer off topic, but another list I'm on
also just had a few helpful souls forward several instances of the good
times hoax to everyone on the list , so I figured maybe we can head this
one off.

        As for cookies, the short version is that that's just the way
the web works. You can work around them, but they aren't going to hurt
you (unless of course, your doing things you shouldn't and someone finds
out, like the previous post about the politicians mentioned. Really, I
don't know that the cookie file would be that bad compared to a print
out of bookmarks/favorites, the history folder, or the browser cache,
and if you're using a govt machine, it's probably all public knowledge
on some level.)

        Chris Miller