Re: [Epic] GW & WOTC (was supermarket)

From: Thane Morgan <thane_at_...>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 14:31:51 -0700

pentacle_at_... wrote:

> At 09:13 AM 3/20/98 -0700, you wrote:
> >Rumor has it that WOTC approach GW for a buy-out, but was rebuffed. By
> >the way, WOTC just won patent rights for "Collectible Card Games", so a
> >lot of companies are going to be getting into litigation or folding.
> >
> >thane
>
> Are they patnenting the term, or the concept? If it is only the term, then
> the companies will be spending time redesigning box, of the concept, I have
> a hard time imagining that they will get it aproved, given the number of
> games that are already out. I think their are certain grandfather
> protections that will defeat the purpose of any lawsuits.
>
> Aerich Frodoson
> "It has come to the attension of management that people in general
> actually care. In view of this shift of opinion, we are going
> to do a better job of concealing what we are actually doing"

Well, on the old antiquities packs there was a "patent pending" lable,
from what I am told anyways. Suposedly this has been going on for years,
and it has just won. several companies who could have put up opposition
had been bought out just prior to approval, and others have already made
deals.

Thane