Re: [Epic]Drop Bear Attacks

From: Alan E & Carmel J Brain <aebrain_at_...>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 1998 19:06:32 +1000

Doug Veal wrote:

> *sigh* that was the problem... the Australian Army changed it's uniform
> about five years ago to a very tan-looking camo pattern. While it fits the
> Australian terrain, it has the added bonus of being very hard for DB's to
> see. This has resulted in a much lower rate of attacks.

Hadn't thought of that. When we were using the old Jungle Greens we had
to be more careful. Unbelievable, the Department of Defence doing
something that makes sense...
(oops...condidering I have an Australian Defence Force Academy (ADFA)
address, consider the usual disclaimer added)

> The GI's I
> mentioned were wearing the typical dark-green camo pattern uniform. They
> were warned to check any tree they stayed under but didn't obviously. The
> DB attacked his dark green ALICE pack and pretty much shredded it.

Yup. There's always one who doesn't get the message.

> >The figure of 14 people eviscerated by drop bears last year is just
> >plain exagerrated:

> That is way too high.. 14? That's not the official number is it? I know the
> news tend to play the attacks up but it seems high..

I suspect the number 14 might be either
a) All attacks (not fatalities) last year or
b) All fatalities over the last 10 years.

I didn't post that figure, the latest data I've seen was for 1995.

Then again, the Australian tourist industry doesn't exactly advertise
the facts.
Remember that Japanese couple who went missing in the bush a few years
back? If you recall, all that was found was a video camera with an
interrupted tape showing the guy trying to cuddle a very unco-operative
"Koala" who they'd just woken up... one with very obviously white-tufted
ears. Talk about Bad Moves. And bad PR. Yet nothing made it to the
Japanese TV AFAIK.

--
 abrain_at_...  o OO*O^^^^O*OO o oo     oo oo     oo