Re: [Epic] terrain questions (geo hex?)

From: Andy Skinner <askinner_at_...>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 08:18:36 -0500

Max Maynard-Maloney wrote:
> Geo-Hex is great with one proviso: it is damned expensive. You will
> have a difficult time building much of anything with a $100+ starter set.
> The problem is that nothing is stand alone. You need 3-6 pieces to make a
> single hill. I live in Portland (the home of Geo-Hex) and a local gaming
> club frequented by the owner of Geo-Hex has shelves full of his terrain.

I've got one basic set, one rough hill set, and some extra pieces for
rough/sloped transitions, etc. I like a lot of what I can do. But I
don't usually build the bottom level out of hexes--I use a mat for the
low level, and build up from there.

Although I think GeoHex really helps for the rolling terrain and shaping
the lay of the land, there is a place for the individual hill, to handle
the small to medium shapes at the top. Hmm--I should probably make some
more for that purpose.

> terrain I want. Also, the hills look much more realistic than the usual
> gaming hills (slopes like stair steps), but have you ever tried to stand a
> titan on a 35 degree incline?

We haven't had much problem with this. Much better than the green foam
you find at craft stores for floral stuff. Slopes on that stuff are
slippery! And I much prefer it to the steps.

andy

--
Andy Skinner
askinner_at_...