Re:[Epic]Eldar/Dark Eldar project

From: Shalom <shalom_at_...>
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 1998 13:51:15 +0100

Well, here's the rest of it, then: In for a Penny, in for a Pound!!

Anybody want's to help on this, Email me!!!!

  I am writing the Dark Eldar Codex for
NetEpic, and submitting 40K versions of same to CJ & Inquisitor as
well, which is why I
am so enthusiastic on this subject. Here are some <snips> of what I have

so far:

Wanna Help??

<snip>

2) I have found a few URL's that give Khornate Eldar lists for 40K (ala
Witch Elves in WHFB). I personally think this is the wrong way to go,
and I've talked to quite a few people who Agree.
WhaddyY'all think?
    I'll give the cosmological logic behind this below, after the
Disclaimer, but I feel Dark Eldar are Slaaneshi.
(as a practical note: Khornate tanks are well represented by models
already, and the New Epic40K Eldar are too...Beautiful? Delicate? for
Khornate stuff.. ) I could ~>see<~ an Eldar list that has components
of all Chaos powers, but then it becomes just an extension of the
Existing
Chaos army List. As near Avatars of slaanesh (Anti-Harlequins, if you
will) I feel they deserve a seperate Treatment. Would work given the
Historical Concepts and <fluff>, as well: Dark Eldar would be -Perfect-

slaaneshi, by definition; too jaded and hedonistic to associate w/ base
latecomers (eg Emperors' Children, for example)

3)Given (2) above, Slaanesh is kinda rough, PG-13 wise, and frankly:
working on tentative NetEpic
rules for Dark Eldar, All I can think of is Freudian Slip type Weapons
(ala H. R.
Giger): Look at the new Wave Serpent and Death Spinner & u tell me..!!
What is the tolerance for this type discussion on this project? I'd be
safe from
anyone who has or has read the ROC books: I wouldn't be going ~that~
far !! I have some Philosophical probs w/ Chaos in the first place!!
(too much "prude" in my personality!! ;-)

4) I've already sent a rough idea for a Sonic Cannon ala Noise Marines
based on the new Night Spinner hull, which I can no longer seem to find
a copy of on my Hard Drive... Did anyone get this? It was mostly
humourous, w/ the core mechanic being something possibly usable. If you

have a copy of this, could you send it back to me? (I wrote it at 2am, &

was pretty punchy at the time: I might have deleted it by mistake... It

was called the Jonsoon or something... )

OK, that's business taken care of: Here's some topics to get us
started! (PG-13 material, sensitive reader's beware!)

***Disclaimer*** Some of this may be offensive to you (it is to
me!) It was written in good Humour, but I am new to the Group & don't
wann get anyone Mad at Me!! I am therefore being *extra Cautious* . I
have rated the material to the best of my Christian Sensibilities!!

*PG-13*

I asked a Net Acquaintance who is Hip to early GW cosmology:

> The topic of Dark Eldar has come up in my
> little circle. The majority feels that these would logically be
Khornate, ala
> Witch Elves. I'll have none of it! It is my considered opinion that
the Crone
> Worlds have given rise to Eldar Slaaneshi warriors such as to make the

Noise
> Marines pale to insignificance!! Do be a Dear and contribute your
thoughts,
> feelings, and any apprapos URLS you might have lying about, won't you?

She replied:

   Dark Eldar...as far as I know, Dark Eldar are the 'fallen' Eldar;
   those devoted to Slaanesh. There is no other route for Eldar, for
   their souls are marked for eternity by the Lord of Pleasure.
   Khornate? Impossible. Khaine? Very doubtful, for Khaine is a petty
   god for those too spineless to serve Khorne. If the violence is
   throwing you off, consider the term 'Blood-Lust'...
   Read some of the Marquis De Sade, and learn just how much pleasure
   can come from causing pain death.
   For Dark Eldar, the focal point is thier pleasure at the death of
   others. Not the simple fact of pain and death as would be for
   Khornate. There would be no chaos for WH40K if non-Khornate servitors

   did not shed blood. This perhaps causes others to cross the lines and

   become confused.

   Ta-Ta

  I asked the Rogue Trader His-own-self:

> What's yer take on the Dark Eldar/ crone word thing? Know any
good
> URLS? Most folks make 'em Khornate, but that just doesn't 'feel'
> right...Lemme quote myself to save me wee fingers--->

Tom Beliech replied:

   Hm. Now, I don't know of any specific Dark Eldar pages. The Net Epic
   page, though, has a small section on a Dark Eldar army for Epic(2nd
   edition); it is based pretty much on the "regular" Epic Eldar army,
   except that they may also take Ork Boyz (slaves!).

   Now, I personally think that the Dark Eldar would primarily serve
   Slannesh, since it was the Eldar who created him. Perhaps Slannesh
keeps
   them as toys/playthings (which would be appropriate) and occasional
   sustenance, but rewards their devotion with incredible pleasures so
that
   they are happy to serve the Daemon. They could inhabit such "Crone
   Worlds" in the Eye of Terror, or there could even be a "Dark
Craftworld"
   taken from the "Normal" Eldar.

   As for Khorne Worship, I'd say this: You could have the "Witch Elves"

be
   Khorne worshippers, subject to the same fury as Khorne berserkers...

   But primarily, I say we're talking Slannesh worshipers. BUT - I could

   also envision that they would hate the rest of Chaos as much as the
   regular Eldar do, their minds twisted: They revere Slannesh because
"he"
   gives them great pleasures, but in the backs of their minds they
   remember their past, and so take out their frustration (and get great

   pleasure from killing) on other Chaos troops.

   I add this because sometimes I get tired of one thing that has
developed
   in 40K - the "Good" races always fight each other, but the "bad" guys

   never do! How often do you see battles between Orks and Chaos,
between
   Chaos and 'Nids, etc? Not Often! But Marines fight Eldar all the
time...

   So, If I'm being given a vote over Dark Eldar, make mine Slaanesh!

   Tom Beliech

     And of course, me own -humble- opinion is the same.
Comments?

**(NC-17)** :-0

Tentative list of Dark Eldar Weapon/Vehicle names

The Vibrocannon (same Context, different Meaning); The Emasculaton;
Slaan's Yoni (new Wave Serpent~~>Look at it!); the Orgasmatron;
Teller of Secrets (that one might make it through the First Cut!).
Power Pasties; Spice Cannon <hehe> Flesh Gordonator; Barbarella's
Hands
<snicker>

>From ROC:slaves to Darkness:Feaster of Pain; Seeker of Decadence;
Bringer of Joyous Degradation; Ram of Slaanesh; Whip of Slaanesh;
Pavane.

<snip>

Ok, here's an idea for taking care of the Khornate idea's out there:

    *Witch Eldar*: Some Eldar, so appalled at the likelihood of being
Consumed by Slaanesh, have instead (whether through slow process or
snap decision) Sacrificed themselves to Khorne. The motivation for some

small segment of Disturbed Eldar (the broken CraftWorld of
WhatchamaCallem, for example) seems to be a twisted sort of Messiah
Complex: "If Khorne defeats Slaanesh, at least my Brother and Sisters
shall be Freed".

    Witch Eldar Rules:

Any Khornate Army may take *any Eldar* stand or troop, with the
following Caveats and restrictions, quid pro quo's:

1) a MAXIMUM of <10%>of the ENTIRE force may be Witch Eldar; they are
    exceedingly rare
2) NO Titans, Knights, or vehicles designated as SuperHeavy may be
taken:
    the nature of WraithBone and The Infinity Circuit make it impossible

for these
    semi-sentinent vehicles to turn to Any Chaos power ...
3) The Army MUST be Khornate: > 50% of the total Army points -must- come

from
    Khorne troops and vehicles
4) Although Tzeentch and Gnurgle forces may be tolerated, it is
IMPOSSIBLE for
    Witch Eldar to fight w/ Slaaneshi troops: it is against their raison

'd'�tre
5) An Eldar Avatar MUST be fielded, as it is an aspect of a Khornate
consumed segment
    of Khaela Mensha Khaine, Eldar lord of Murder and War.
        ( Cosmological rational is pasted below, pretty straightforward:

I'll answer any questions, though...)

    I know this idea is going to draw ~ Strong ~ objections (changes the

nature of a Chaos Army, unbalancing, etc...), so I only ask that it be
included as an -optional- rule
 (unless people REALLY like it, of course)

I left part off, sorry!!

Cosmological Rational for Khornate Avatar of Khaine:

Shalom wrote:

   The following explanation makes more sense if you have ever read C.
S. Lewis' 'Screwtape Letters':
        Imagine each of the Warp Beings as psycho-spiritual amoebas, or
spectrum absorbers. They each 'feed'
   off of a different strata of Warp ecology: The Larger
consumes/absorbs the smaller or more narrow~ each
   'absorbs' only a < particulair > frequency of
   psycho/ spiritual / emotional discharge. The 'broader' band
frequencies absorb into themselves the narrower
   bandwidths.
       Using a related Analogy, look at a colour wheel, or even better
('cause there are Four) a CMYK colour
   seperation chart for printing: Warp Reality -was- many hued, as was
physical Reality. The Chaos Wars are
   the efforts of differing elements of Warp Space to divide reality
into its simplest "colours" or vibrational
   tones. (lemme mix my metaphors here, a little, why don't I !!).
Khorne=Magenta (hence the predominatly
   Red & gold of his armies. Hey!! This metaphor is gonna work OK!!).
Tzeentch=cyan, Gnurgle=black, and
   Slaanesh=yellow.
   Ya with me so far??
       OK, here's the tricky part (doin' the Big, Fig Newton {sorry,
inside joke}):
   Khaine (in our Analogy) 'vibrates' in the 'ORANGE' Spectrum!! He is

a -seperate- entity, belonging/
   potentially subdivided or consumed by BOTH Khorne (magenta,
remember?) and Slaanesh (yellow)!! If
   Khorne and Ol' Slaany didn't -->Hate<-- each other, they could pro'ly

figure out where the "middle" was an'
   cut up ol' Khaine like a Birthday Cake. Since Khaine is now in
10,000 pieces (give or take) the process of
   dividing takes a ~Long~ time. Every Battle where an Avatar falls in
battle against a Khornate or Slaaneshi
   army determines 'where' (or more correctly 'to whom' that particulair

piece of Khaines vibrational "essence"
   goes---(but Sire! You could drink her essence! Essence of
Gelfling-MMMmmm) {another inside joke I'm
   afraid, sorry!}. For completeness sake, another representational
model of this, using the "Emotional
   Spectrum" might go like this---> Khorne=Anger, Slaanesh=Lust,
Tzeentch=Fear (?), and Gnurgle=Despair
   (thanks to Neil Gaiman for the last one)
   (anyone wantsa to hear an off-colour joke about despair, e-mail me, &

I'll send it to you...)