Re: [Epic] Alternate IG detachments

From: A. Allen McCarley <allen_at_...>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 1998 23:44:58 -0500

> Allen, I remember we had two suggestions for alternatives to the
> Imperial Guard detachment. I don't remember who suggested either, or
> what the first one was. The one I liked was allowing the IG detachment
> to take infantry or Rough Riders as support. It isn't much of a change,
> but it improves the point cost per unit for the infantry-heavy
> detachment. Did you send either of these?

The alternate infantry detachments have sat under my far too busy butt for
far too long. This is a grave ill-service for which I am deeply ashamed.
I am trying to rectify this situation even as I write this. (One of the
few advantages of having your advisor resign and leave the country is that
your time becomes, well, yours again.)

I have the simple suggestion you list above. (Was this origianlly your
suggestion Andy? I seem to recall that it was.) I also have Dirk Vormann's
suggested alterred detachment. I also have bits and pieces of an idea
by Stephen Sheldon that ran out a long thread on the list, but never seemed
to crystalize into an entire product. It mostly consisted of replacing
the command structure of the current IG list with one more in-line with
reality and the 40K codices. Stephen, if you are reading this and have
the full details of your idea then please send them to me.

What I *really* need is feedback and comments from people who have actually
*used* these ideas in their games. (My group generally avoids house rules
so I haven't had much chance to try any of these.) I have a few letters from
Dirk about his testing, and the resultant changes he made in his suggestion.
Has anyone else tried these detachments?

My own feeling about the "simple" idea is taht it is great on the short end.
With a single command squad you can have up to 12 infantry stands and their
transport. This eases your ability to play the Guard the way the background,
rules, and WD articles suggest you should; as cheap and numerous troops.
(As opposed to the current detachement where you can play as cheap or
numerous, but not both.) It also helps you build larger infantry detachments
that actually cost what they are worth rather than having an extra 25 point
surcharge thrown in. However, it still bugs me that this sidesteps the
problem rather than eliminating it. I also wonder about the possibility
of the large end: 3 command stands, 36 infantry stands, and 20 Chimeras.
Is this, perhaps, just a bit much, or is it just big and clumsy? Does it
cost what it is worth? Too much ? Too little?

At the moment, Jervis is interested in seeing ideas for optional rules and
tactics so these detachments should stand a better than nil chance of seeing
print if they are well designed. I'd just hate to get them printed and have
the gaming community at large respond with, "What is this cheese?"

Thanks again, guys. Let me hear from you.

Allen (The Q&A guy)
Check out the EPIC and EPIC 40K Q&A Pages at:
     http://work1.utsi.edu:8000/~amccarle/default.html

Mirrored by J. Michael Looney at:
     http://www.spellbooksoftware.com/allen-mirror/default.html