Re: [Epic] Alternate IG detachments

From: Stephen Sheldon <stephes_at_...>
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 1998 08:16:29 -0700 (PDT)

> The idea about putting infantry or RR (were there others?) into the
> support list came from somebody who's name began with S, I think. (I
> thought it was Sean.) I liked it, but purely from a theoretical point
> of view--sorry, no playtesting. I heartily confess to a tendency to
> adopt alternate rules because they sound good, rather than after
> playtesting. I don't think you should feel bad about not having sent it
> to Jervis until you've gotten some thoughts on how it works.
>
> Unfortunately, I haven't had time to think about IG at all. I'm making
> myself wait until I've got a lot more painting done for SM and Eldar.
>
> I assume "playtesting" here would mean making lots of detachments and
> seeing whether anything breaks what GW was trying to do--disallow lots
> of cheap infantry plus tanks. (I think.) Plus whether these
> detachments appear to be worth close to their point value.

Mine was one of them, although I am not the S person. My IG is a direct
translation from the 40K Codex, the command is a captain, a hero IG with
thw 25 point det HQ worked in. The captain can command 3 lieutenants which
are regular guards that can be upraded to heroes by adding a commissar as
normal. The captain can be upgraded to psyker for +10. Each of the
lieutenants (Which cost 7) can command three squads of IG. The rest of the
list is the same except they may not take rough riders.

My rough rider detachment works on a similar principle, except only RR and
IG bikes my be taken, if anyone is interested I will repost the detachment
structure and IG bike stats in full.

Steve

When you dream there are no rules, people can fly, anything can happen.
Sometimes, there's a moment as you're waking, that you become aware of
the real world around you, but you're still dreaming.
You may think you can fly, but you better not try it...