Re: [Epic] MAATAC/Games Masters conversions?

From: Cornelius Perkins <cperkins_at_...>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 20:32:37 -0500

Tyler Provick wrote:

> hmmm, in GW's recent fluff they still seem to have the best fluff around.

And they still will, if you never even bother to check any other games.
The few people who closely hold GW (the original owners) must love you.
Pity they don't treat you like they do.

> Humans, meat-eaters, bugs, fish and birds. But aren't some bugs, fish, and birds
> Carniverous?

The "meat-eaters" are basically cat-people. Read their fluff. Or not, I don't
care. I play GW games. For now.

> Oh well, I've often considered playing a non-GW wargame, but the simple fact is
> that in a game where it is hard enough to find a gamer for GW, imagine how hard
> it is to find someone for a less popular game.

Right. That's what keeps me here too. But I could form a gaming group if
need be - I've got two sons who play whatever I'm interested in (as long as
I also play what they're interested in - it's a fair trade). That's three, and
it's
a decent core.

> I wonder if people who play games without magazines and mailing lists worry
> about the miniatures being discontinued, or is it just a GW-related fear :)

It's very GW-specific. Other companies keep their product lines up a long time.Only
GW has this kind of a history of promoting and releasing games, and then
dropping them immediately, without any further support.

> But seriously, there could quite possibly be better rules/miniatures available,
> but there are a lot worse. I'm gonna be GW for life (unless I start my own
> company)
> What can I say, they got me young

Insert repeat of above comment. The few people who own GW must loveyou. GW got me
at a good point too, and I have bought _bunches_ of goop
for epic and RT and 40k and spacehulk and god-save-me gorkamorka, but
somewhere on the horizon, there's other games, and game companies which
act like they have a stake in keeping my loyalty long term.

Cornelius (being especially cantankerous - symptom relief for a virus
occasionally leads to interesting results)

--
// Cornelius Perkins cperkins_at_...
//    http://www.nothinbut.net/~cperkins