Re: [Epic] Bug Army

From: Thane Morgan <thane_at_...>
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 1998 12:10:34 -0600

Alexis Nahib Delgado Saab wrote:

> I�m planning to start a bug army, what minis should I first buy
> for starters ( about 1000 - 1500 pts ).
> And what are the best bug strategies??
>
> Alexis Delgado

> Buy a Pentium 586/90 so you can reboot faster.

  I haven't been playing the bugs for E40K that long, maybe 10 games
since I got a sufficient number of models to have choices. But heres is
my sugestion for getting enough to try out different strategies.

Find The Travelling Mage on the web. They sell GW for 35% off, and that
makes a big difference for buying large quantities. Buy at least 20
sprues worth of infantry (10 boxes) for ~$70 with shipping; if you can
find the old boxes, you may get 5 sprues for $13.

Thus will give you 20 stands of each infantry type, except for the 40
termagants. You'll want lots of tyrannid warriors, because each Detat
needs a minimum of 3 synapse creatures, and you'll want more. TW's are
the best all around infantry for bugs; they've got decent FP, armor,
move and assault. You'll want more.

Get 2 blisters (10 models) of biovore. These are perhaps the most
effective troop for bugs, as they give artillery disrupts and can hide
in buildings and woods and be dropped in pods. You'll want lots of
disrupts as a bug player, to pin down detats and give big CC penalties
for when you crash in with genestealers. You'll have 20 genestealers,
good for 2 detats.

Get 2 blisters (minimum) of assault spawn (i like trygon the best).
These are great for transporting detats of biovore or TW's.

for the small point total you want, one blister of hive tyrants should
be sufficent. They are expensive point wise, but any detat that will see
HTH needs at least one psycher. The save will help keep a synapse
creature alive in your brood to ignore morale checks.

1 blister of zoanthropes will be good for adding psychers to your cc
broods. The easiest way to get a +1 to your die roll in this game is to
have 2 psychers in a detat; most army lists only allow one per detat.
The second easiest is to have 5 or 10 biovore pound the enemy detat just
before you swarm it.

The tyrannid war engines suck rocks; you don't get much firepower, they
have no shields, and they cost a gazillion points. They die at the touch
of a death-ray or vortex, and it is absurdly easy to shut down their
weapons with BM's. The dom can be rendered ineffective with 3 BM. Don't
buy them initially. If you want, buy them later as they can hunt down a
titan easily in crowded terrain (they ignore all terrain while moving!).
There is a true joy in ripping a 500 point unit from limb to limb that
no other army can capture.

That's really all you need to start with. You claim to want a 1500 point
army, so build a 2500 point army to let you play with detat composition.
You'll probably want more HT's and assault spawn as your army grows.
You'll constantly be faced with a lack of TW's. Dactylis can help keep
an opponents troops spread out where they can't concentrate fire as well
and are easier to assault. But this is a good start.

10 boxes infantry (8 if your cheap, but YOU MUST HAVE TW'S, so bite the
bullet. You'll be glad you did)
2 biovore blisters.
2 assault spawn blisters (4 if you're feeling wealthy)
1 or 2 HTs blisters
1 zoanthrope blister

This comes to 14-18 unit's, so $140-180 retail, or $91-$117 (+ postage)
from the travelling mage. Could someone post the link, I lost mine?

I'll post my favorite detats in 1000 point games later.

Thane