Re: [Epic] Assault Orders & Movement

From: Scott Shupe <shupes_at_...>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 13:23:14 -0400

Andy Skinner wrote:

> > > 4) I had some bikes in the front, and I put 'em on assault and hurried
> > > to the back in the movement phase to put a finish on the assault marines
> > > that got pushed out of the ruins. But the marines were finished in the
> > > shooting phase. In the assault phase, should my bikes move (at least) 5
> > > cm towards the place the marines were, or should they turn around and
> > > move at least 5 back the way they came? The rules directly interpreted
> > > would say the latter, but I think that isn't really the intent. This is
> > > a special case.
> >
> > Why? The bikes are on assault orders. They move towards
> > the closest enemy. The presence (or lack thereof) of their
> > original target is not an issue. Target A has run off the field,
> > let's go after target C.
>
> Just because they had flown full tilt towards their target, and it
> didn't make much sense to us that they'd whip around the complete
> opposite direction. I suppose the usual case would be for target C to
> be the same general direction as target A. It didn't make any
> difference, because going 5 cm closer would not have put them in range
> of C (the landspeeders) or anything near it.

        Well, being on assault orders doesn't neccessarily involve
charging headlong towards the enemy. I've seen a handful of
maneuvers where an assaulting detachment moves away from the enemy
in the movement phase and then rushes in the assault phase. Of
course that wasn't your intent in the above case, but intentional
or not it's a valid option.

        If you have a conceptual problem with a detachment turning
around between the movement and assault phases, do you have the same
problem with a det. reversing direction between the assault phase of
one turn and the movement phase of the next? Because it's pretty
much the same situation since all movement is continous, it's just
arbitrarily broken up by the turn sequence.

        The problem I have with moving detachments on assault orders
is: what do you do when the assaulting detachment has enemy dets in
2 opposite directions? This has happened to me when additional
enemy troops have been deposited via drop pods right behind my main
CC force. According to the rules, if you're on assault orders you
can't move away from the enemy but you have to move at least 5cm
towards the enemy. But no matter which enemy you move towards you
are moving away from the other:

        enemy A

                CC detachment

                                enemy B

What to do? When this question first came up, part of my CC det.
was closer to "A" and part was closer to "B" (the units in the
center of the det. were in a gray area), so there wasn't even a
"closer enemy" for the entire detachment.

Scott Shupe
shupes_at_... shupes@... http://www.rpi.edu/~shupes
"My mind is going... I can feel it." - 2001