RE: [Epic] Titan Legion rules vs. Epic 40k

From: Andy Skinner <askinner_at_...>
Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 08:06:44 -0400

From: L. Brian Hayes

> A: With only playing Epic 40K would the Space Marine rules seem more
> involved?

I first got Space Marine (2nd edition) as a big box of figures and buildings
for use in Dirtside II. But I never got around to playing DSII, because the
SM rules looked so much simpler. I think they are--the basic rules are
simpler than DSII or Epic 40K. But when you throw in the supplements, with
all the specifics for each unit type, I think SM/TL gets more complicated
again.

I think the game also takes longer, mostly from having to declare all your
shots for every detachment, whereas now we just declare the fp targets and
SH weapons. But the main thing slowing my games down is still the decision
making process, and that's my own fault.

If all you have are the TL rules, and you want to use more than the units
described in that set, you'll have to buy supplements for the armies. Some
of these can be had cheap. There is a store near me with Ork & Squat
Warlords and Chaos and Eldar Renegades sets at half price. (Plus some of
the ugly vindicators, some Squat land train cars, an Imperial SHV (forget
which one), and a single Warp Hunter in a blister (hole in blister, I think
there should have been two).)

Sometimes I miss having all the units fire individually. But nowadays I'm
more likely to think of rules to use AT shots, which do fire individually,
as more powerful FP, to speed up shot declarations (in E40K). I've decided
that it really isn't very important to me. At first, I regretted the ranges
getting shorter in E40K, but now I'm content. No, as easily customizable as
Epic 40K is, I can't think of much I'd want to go back for. Except possibly
putting order placement secretly and simultaneously into E40K; easily done,
I believe.

andy