Re: [Epic] Titan Legion rules vs. Epic 40k

From: Stephen Sheldon <stephes_at_...>
Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 10:14:28 -0700 (PDT)

I have to put in my word on this. I have played since AT/SM and I really
liked those rules, I only felt they went overboard when they introduced
all the rules for chaos, but ANYWAY, I liked it, SM/TL came out, It was
fun, fast and had far too many imbalances and inconsistencies for my
liking. The rules for both these versions, looking back, seem to be for a
squad based game in a platoon level game, Both had their good points, but
AT/SM was too slow, and SM/TL the trrops were not properly balanced, and
the game rarely lasted more than 2 turns which pissed me off.
I think the generalisation of the new system is great, it has evened the
playing field, and removed some of the elements that guaranteed victory
for certain armies. I was fed up to see certain units lost, but the rules
are so simple that creating the units is easy. Someone mentioned that the
ork tanks are reduced to 'Battlewagon', part of me hates this, the other
likes it, Conversions become a lot of fun with no restrictions, I remember
someone coming up with rules for the 3 types of wagons (Shoota, Rolla and
Transporta) I really liked that.
I'm wandering away from my point again, oops. The thing that E40K has
developed is an emphasis on strategy and tactics, the game prep is just as
important as playing it, I LOVE making army lists, I think it is great fun
(see my detachment Post :o)). I find that the new rules are less
restrictive on missions and campaigns too, as well as being much faster. I
pity anyone who is starting the game now, as they do not get to see how
wonderful the Epic universe is, the AT times were gloriously dark, and the
rules were filled with great stories.
As for comparisons, don't bother, I really think the two games are far too
different to worry about such things, SM/TL still emphasises on the
effects of individual units right down to their special powers, where E40K
focuses on how a detachment will act as a cohesive squad, something which
to me makes all the difference, I think the rules for suppression through
BMs are the most profound step GW has taken in years too...
Enough waffling for now
 Steve

When you dream there are no rules, people can fly, anything can happen.
Sometimes, there's a moment as you're waking, that you become aware of
the real world around you, but you're still dreaming.
You may think you can fly, but you better not try it...