Re: [Epic] Titan Legion rules vs. Epic 40k

From: A. Allen McCarley <allen_at_...>
Date: Wed, 6 May 1998 16:22:48 -0500

I hold no animous towards those who prefer SM2 over EPIC 40,000. However,
as long as comparing the two systems is going to be a topic again I'll
go ahead and bring up a couple of points relating to my own personal
preferences.

> You had to worry about the facing of each unit,

This was something that really bugged me about SM2. It made sense, of
course, for fixed gun installations, but why oh why did it apply to
MBT's? I was quite happy when E40K arrived and tanks were finally able
to use their turrets.

> I hate the new CC system; you roll just as
> many times and it takes longer, plus being largely unpredicatable
> in nature.

I suspect you aren't piling on enough. I make a lot fewer rolls now
and the whle thing is over much faster. Personally, I *like* the
largely unpredictable nature of the CC. The fact that you can pile
up the odds in your favor and still lose outright (rather than just
losing 1 or 2 more guys than you should have as in the old system)
seems to discourage wanton charging into close combat. My opponents
now seem to spend more time maneuvering and setting up fields of
support and interlocking fields of fire. They only charge into CC
when they absolutely need to shift my detachments from an important
position.

Of course, my absolute favorite addition to the close combat system
was the introduction of the fire-fight.

Allen (The Q&A guy)
Check out the EPIC and EPIC 40K Q&A Pages at:
     http://work1.utsi.edu:8000/~amccarle/default.html

Mirrored by J. Michael Looney at:
     http://www.spellbooksoftware.com/allen-mirror/default.html