Re: [Epic] Net Epic

From: Tony Christney <acc_at_...>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 1997 14:09:07 -0800

>Greetings!
>
>This is the full list of what titan weapons and their respective chassis
>are worth. Most are from AT's formulas (which coincide with Tony's
>calculations) and those that did not have values were determined with
>Tony's formula.
>
>The values in parentesis are the old AT ones that were different from
>Tony's calculations.
>
>BASIC WEAPONS
>WEAPON Adjusted Cost
>Gatling Blaster 125
>Laser Blaster 100 (75)
>Melta Cannon 100 (75)
>Quake Cannon 150
>Turbo-Laser Destructor 150
>Vulcan Mega-Bolter 100 (75)
>Volcano Cannon 175
>Carapace Multi-Lasers 50
>
>PLASMA WEAPONS
>Blastgun 125
>Cannon 200
>Destructor 250
>

>CLOSE COMBAT WEAPONS
>Battle Claw/Power Fist 50 (25)
>Chain fist/Power Saw 75 (50)
>Combat Head 50 (25)
>Laser Burner 75 (25)
>Power Ram 75 (50)
>Wrecker 50 (50)

I could go with the AT values for close combat weaps except for the
laser burner. It is better than the powerfist, IMO, and should cost more.

>BARRAGE/TEMPLATE WEAPONS
>Deathstrike Cannon 150
>Inferno Gun 100 (50)
>Multiple Rocket Launcher125 (100)

I could see dropping the cost of the MRL to 100, but I figure the inferno
gun is worth at least 75. Remember, it is much more effective on warhounds
and reavers than on warlords. Four IG in a warhound det. can be deadly
combination against hordes of infantry, even in cover.

>ONE-SHOT WEAPONS
>Barrage Missle Launcher 200
>Harpoon Missle 150
>Vortex Missle 300 (supposed to be rare and expensive)
>Warp Missle 150
>
>SPECIAL WEAPONS
>Carapace Landing Pad 75
>Corvus Assault Pod 300 (no free terminators allowed!),maybe 200?
>Fire Control Center 150
>Trident 100 (50)

OK, I don't think that 300 is too much to ask for the corvus. Effectively
you are getting four terminators for 150 points. As for the trident, after
rereading the rules I would say that the AT costs are ridiculously low.

>First, the cost of a Titan chassis is as follows:
>Warlord=500
>Reaver=300
>Warhound=150
>
>The values in parentesis are the AT values, notice that the close combat
>weapons are very cheap (good to stimulate people using them).
>
>Next, add up the cost of all weapons, divide the result by two,
>and add to the cost of the chassis. Round to the nearest 50 pts. Also if
>everone agrees we can just half the above values and eliminate the step
>of dividing by two at the end.

My reasoning for halving the costs at the end is to make it easier to
incorporate new rules for Titans while keeping weapons cost ratios constant.
This may be especially useful if we make Titans more powerful. For instance,
we may only want to multiply by .75 rather than .5. I think it is hard to say
without some playtesting.

> Examples taken from the Codex Titanicus:
>
> 1. Warlord w/ Vortex Missle (300), Volcano Cannon(175), Gatling Blaster
> (125)
> Power Fist (50). Total weapons cost = 750/2 = 375.
> TITAN COST = 875 -> 900
>
> 2. Reaver w/ Gatling Blaster (125), Turbo-Laser Destructor (150), Warp
> missle (150)
> Total weapons cost = 425/2 = 212.5
> TITAN COST = 512.5 -> 500
>
> 3. Reaver w/ Barrage Missle Launcher (200), Chainfist (75), Vulcan
> Mega-Bolter (100)
> Total weapons cost = 375/2 = 187.5
> TITAN COST = 487.5 -> 500
>
> 4. Reaver w/ Multiple Rocket Launcher (125), 2X Turbo-Laser Destructor
> (300)
> Total Weapons cost = 425/2 = 212.5
> TITAN COST = 512.5 -> 500
>
> 5. Reaver w/ Turbo-Laser Destructor (150), Vulcan Mega-Bolter (100),
> Inferno Gun (100)
> Total weapons Cost = 350/2 = 175
> TITAN COST = 475 -> 500
>
> 6. Reaver w/ Multiple Rocket Launcher (125), Chain fist (75), Plasma
> Blastgun (125)
> Total weapons cost = 325/2 = 162.5
> TITAN COST = 462.5 -> 450
>
> 7. Warhound w/ Turbo-Laser Destructor (150), Inferno Gun (100)
> Total weapons Cost = 250/2 = 125
> TITAN COST = 150 + 125 = 275
>
>AND
>
> Warhound w/ Plasma Blastgun (125), Vulcan Mega-Bolter (100)
> Total Weapons cost = 225/2 = 112.5
> TITAN COST = 150 + 112.5 = 262.5
>
>Cost of Warhound Detachment = 300 + 125 + 112.5 = 537.5 -> 550
>
>If you are buying weapons for a Titan Battlegroup, then round the
>costs for the whole BG, not for each individual Titan. When you buy a
>battle group you receive a free chassis, the cost of the weapons for all
>three titans must be purchased.
>
>Example of a Reaver Battlegroup:
>Titans 2., 4, and 5.
>
>Chassis costs =600 (one chassis free)
>Total Weapons costs = 212.5 + 212.5 + 175 = 600
>BG Cost = 1200
>
>Chaos Titan weapons
>
>Bloodletter Head 75
>Chaos Energy Whip 50
>Chaos Titan Tail 50 on a banelord 75 due to firing capabilities
>Deathstorm 175 has good range and a lot of dice!

The cost of the deathstorm could just as easily been rounded to 150.
Unfortunately, I am slightly biased (I play chaos). However, using the formula
I used to generate the Imperial costs, the deathstorm came to 162.5.

>Doomburner 150

This is overpriced, IMO. If kept in line with the Imperial weapons, my
formula comes up with 125.

>Doomfist 75

This may be a bit underpriced. After all, it is a combination chainfist,
powerfist, and nearly a half of a melta cannon. maybe 125 is a bit better?

>Hellblade 50

This is reaonable. It works like a lame lasburner, but has the +3 CAF.

>Havoc Missiles 50 since it takes 2 weapon points it has to
>be cheap

I'm not sure that this weapon is as bad as you make it out to be. It may
take up two weapon slots, it is more reliable than the Barrage Missle
Launcher, and only has a couple of disadvantages. I figure it is worth
at least as much as the Quake Cannon!! I would say 150 would not be
unreasonable. Although if you wanted to make them cheaper than their
Imperial counterparts (see below) maybe 100 or 125, but 50 is way too
cheap.

>Hellstrike Cannon 75
>
>On the whole titan weapons are cheap due to their short range of fire
>and also they add distinction to a chaos titan so should be in an
>accesible cost range. Hull values are the same as for Imperial titans
>
>Eldar Weapons
>
>Heat Lance 100
>Pulsar 300 this weapons has no drawbacks!
>Tremor Cannon 175 ignores shields!
>D-Cannon 250 *see coment below*
>Lascannon Wing 150
>Psycannon 150
>Power Fist 100 this thing shoots!
>Missile Launcher Wing 50 to stimulate use it has to be cheap
>Hull 300 its weapons is what makes it expensive!
>Hull for warlock Titan 400
>
>Comment: I will try to bring back the old AT rules on this one, it was
>truely fearsome as it destroyed anything without shields without save
>and shield targets were imune. If caught without shield-ouch! Bye
>Titan! I'll tone it down somewhat but it will be still pretty powerful
>and thus the cost. I post the full rules later.

Unfortunately, I have never faced Eldar, so any input from me on these
would be pure speculation. Especially since all Eldar weapons except
the Lascannon Wing would fit into the "special" category.

>Orks
>
>Battle Cannon Head 125

I would be tempted to lower this to 100 due to the -1 armour save(formula
cost = 112.5).

>Battle Cannon Turret 75
>Cluster Buster 75

After reading the description of this weapon I feel it should be more
expensive than the the Battle Cannon Turret. Maybe 100 or 125?

>Gork/Mork Head 150 its effect on morale is to great to be cheap
>Deth Cannon 150

The bonus to titan damage would perhaps bring this up to 175 (formula=167).

>Gatling Cannon 150
>Gut Buster 200 For what it does it has to be expensive!
>Snapper 50
>Magnum Mega Cannon 175
>Observation Turret 100
>Ripper Fist 125 This one shoots too!
>Scorcher Turret 50
>Slasha Attack Gun 150
>Super Lifta Dropper 125

I think that the SLD is a bit better than this. somewhere between 150 and 175.

>Hull 550
>
>I think the gargant has traditionally been harder to destroy than a
>warlord so the hull costs more the weapon though are less expensive on
>average.
>As for the Mega Gargant and the Mekboy gargant they come pretty much
>with the same weapons so I left them alone with their present cost.
>
>Tyranids need such a overhaul that we'll probably redo the whole army!
>
>Well, we will combine or price discussion with the weapons description,
>so nows the time to put in your two cents about what the weapon does to
>bring it in equality with its values.
>
>United we stand!
>Peter

Tony Christney