Re: [Epic] Where to go?

From: Chad Taylor <ct454792_at_...>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 1997 17:11:21 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 26 Feb 1997, Peter Ramos wrote:

> Greetings!
>
> Quite recently a fair number of people have stated their interest about
> moving Net Epic to another forum. It seems many people have the
> impression that there are waves of people on the internet that like epic
> and are not subscribed to list. Whether this true or not I can not
> guess. The fact is their aren't many web pages dedicated solely to epic
> as opposed to other GW games (like 40k). As you know Simon Dodds has
> posted what we have come up with up to now with vigorous prompting to
> send comments or join this list, quite frankly, there has been no
> response to date. Would it help for other web page owners to post it and
> prompt reply? Again I cant say, but I suspect the response wont be much
> greater than the one on the list. So the "we" in this case are all of
> you who read this, and if thats a two dozen or less people, so be it!

This is the whole problem as I see it. And I would put the number at
something less than a dozen, as you suggested in your earlier post. But
let us say it is two dozen or less, there is something like 150 people on
the list. Thus the suggestion to move the discussion.

> Only you have taken the time and effort to comment on it, so as far as I
> am concerned you are the majority and WHAT YOU SAY GOES, its as simple
> as that.
>
> Of course, there is another point. Some just might be tired of seeing
> Net Epic as the heading of every other posting from this list and that
> is also a valid opinion. Regarding makng a seperate list or moving to
> another site, well I lack the expertise to make one and as far as a web
> page I will speak to Dodds to see if it is viable.

Bingo! Surely someone would be willing to set up a mailing list for this
project. You would only be talking about a dozen or so people after all,
not a large list. Heck, with that number you could just create a large
send address block. When someone wanted to be added to the discussion all
they would have to do is notify who was in charge of the project (Peter?)
and he would notify the others as well as sending the new guy (gal) the
header with the other addresses. I know I just hosed that description and
I apologize for that. Hopefully you get the idea.

The other thought is the Web Page. This has many attractions. It would
be easy to set up a "net epic design" web page. One link to describe the
project with a list to the other pages, each discussing one topic. Each
of those links could be set up like Simon Dodds (great page by the way)
address book. Each person would leave their comment for others to read.
Think about it, you would have a "living" log of all posted items. Any
questions about "consensus achieved"? Not now, just look at the previous
comments to see what each person had to say.

All you need is someone able and willing to set up the page for you, and
of course the room. If that is a problem then you could set the page up
on several different accounts (presumably those involved in the project),
a meg here and a meg there and it will add up pretty fast. People
involved should be willing to make the sacrifice, especially since
presumably the page will go away after the design process is done.
Wouldn't it be great to have the ability to go back and "head count" each
part of the discussion and see just exactly what the "majority" really had
to say?

> As always, disscuss this amongst yourselves and of course I'll abide by
> your desicion.
>
> Thank you,
> Peter

Chad Taylor