Re: [Epic] Maps

From: Tyler Provick <bprovick_at_...>
Date: Thu, 28 May 1998 15:24:32 -0400

KrazyLlama_at_... wrote:

> Well, Tyler, we both know that when it comes to maps I am not the person to
> ask (oh oh, it's Rokta VI!) In any case, I think probably the best way to do
> it would be to draw a basic outline of the terrain, put in simple shading,
> etc. Then, get some drawing pencils and spend some time putting in the fine
> detail. Scan it into the computer, into Photoshop, crop it, whatever, and then
> print out many many. I don't like to use maps much, but that's my input.
>
> Shervin

Well, if anybody knows Heavy Gear then they'll know my plan. There was a map
comissioned for it that was just beautiful, and luckily enough the people who made
it posted brief instructions on how to do the shading and all. So..

I downloaded a map from a CIS database thingy on the net. I shot it into Photoshop
4, put it up a layer, transluced it to 30% and began blocking in basic colours,
green for grass, dark green for jungle, brown for mountains. This is taking some
time.

Next I will build up the mountains (It's gonna be a relief map) with the shading
techniques I got from the Wormgears homepage.

Draw lakes, rivers, whatever, add some names and I have a map I can manipulate.

The reason I didn't go from scratch is that I can't seem to get mountain ranges to
look natural, and where to put water and stuff. The map I'm using as a template
(Iran) doesn't offer much in the way of jungles and Boreal Forests, but I'm adding
them in as I go. It should look very good when it's done.

Working every day I figure I could get it done in a month, that is not counting
getting the part for the Scarlet Pimperninal (Or Pumpernickle or something)

Tyler