RE: [Epic] Games Day another viewpoint

From: Kelley, Kevin J., JCS <kevin.kelley_at_...>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 1998 07:37:32 -0400

I also went to games day but only on Saturday, from 10 AM till 4 PM. We
left early due to the weather reports - in fact went by RFK right in the
middle of the storm. Twas an interesting experience. Lots of people,
lots of youngsters and lots of noise.

I played two EPIC games and one Necromunda game. One was the titan fest
where my great gargant got killed by a grey and red reaver run by a big guy
who could play center for the Redskins. As Dave mentioned this was done on
a great "city scape" board with both the new ruins and the old big card
buildings. One of the card buildings was cut away revealing the ruined
inside and if you looked close you could see a fighta bomba augered in!
There were four players in that session and the outrider (a nice fellow
whose name I forgot) gave an epic metal pack to all participants.

 The second was the desert - IG vs orcs one, but diferent I think from the
one mentioned as there was no IG arty. this was later in the day so they
may have changed the scenario. They upgraded the orc stompas to 6 armour
and the speedsta deth ray to 45 cm. Had 4 per side and the two outriders
(who were quite pleasent, even the orc) and we played a full 4 turns - game
was close with the IG squeaking by when the big ork det on assault rolled a
one with one blast marker and could not close with my 7 Leman Russ and 3
Demolisher det.

I think the vacant table Dave may be referring to was no. 25 - was not a
bring and battle table, the two outriders who were supposed to show for that
could not make it. I thought Epic was reasonably well represented - except
for the no show table
the ones I saw seemed full. THere were as many Epic tables as GorkaMorka I
think. The games that seemed to get short shrift were Necro munda (2 tables)
and Space Hulk (2 tables). There was also less Blood Bowl action than I
would have predicted - just a few tables in the back. The Sulfa River Demo
table was great - the terrain reminded me of where Interstate 10 crosses the
Pecos in west texas but I will have to agree they should have made it a WD
insert.

I also saw one of the new Eldar titans (the phantom?) - I kind of liked it -
it is certainly recognizable as an Eldar titan unlike the new warlord. Cant
argue much with Daves assessment of the Chaos stuff - appears to be right
on. I did notice, while talking to Paul Sawyer, a few ranks of nicely
painted 7mm spearmen - medieval looking - with the label "Epic Fantasy
Battles" or the like.

I'll probobly be reviled for saying this but - as a veteran of many gaming
cons - Games day was pretty good. For your $10.00 you can play a lot of
games - there was a Burger King accross ($1.00 whoppers) the street and the
Wharf Rat Brew Pub just down the street for when the little kids got too
annoying. Biggest expenditure was parking ($12.00).

Kevin