Re: [Epic] Games day part Two !!

From: Stephen Sheldon <stephes_at_...>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 10:19:37 -0700 (PDT)

> He did have a valid point before he started flaming. The
> Outriders have always seemed to be nice people, and on the ball except
> when it comes to predicting what GW is going to release next. I think
> that his main gripe is that someone blamed the Outriders for some of
> the problems with Games Day, when in fact it was out of their control
> and was just another screwup by GW.
> (Feel free to correct me if I've misinterpreted and am putting
> words into your mouth.)

It just occured to me what gws (Damned if I am going to dignify them with
capitals) biggest problem is: Size, they have simply gotten to big, I just
listened to a speech by (The bloated american flagwaving turdy
businessman) Tom Peters, and it occured to me, when a company becomes too
large for it's audience, then it will spend so much time trying to kepp
it's identity in it's own eyes that it will forget about it's audience.
Think about it, we are talking about a games company, that has become a
global entity. Now, as with other games, there are a few cult fans who
will know everything about the company, probably more than the company
knows itself, who would make amazing outriders, the only problem is, the
company does nothing to keep this level of fanaticism up, it is too
concerned with its self image, to promote itself outside. Ie, they are too
caught up creating an air of mystery and hyping everything up, they
sometimes forget to deliver. If they just dealt out the merchandise, and
didn't waste countless hours promoting it uselessly (What is the point of
having an article on how you must have this new figure? If you have the
army, then you will already know if you need it or not), the costs would
be lower, and releases would be prompter, also, why not release the
miniatures when they are made? I have never understood why they make
figures and don't release them for months. No wonder the outriders are
confused.
GW has grown too fast and it cannot handle itself, itseems quite apparent,
eg. in Vancouver, there are two stores, and from the Park Royal store, you
can walk for 20 minutes, over the bridge, through Stanley Park, to
Burrard, hop on a skytrain for 20 minutes, and you are at metrotown, where
the other store is (Very centrally) located. Why even bother with the
second store, seems like a total waste to me. A waste that we are paying
for.
I Blame it all on GW driving away boltthrower for a happier place to
game...

Steve

When you dream there are no rules, people can fly, anything can happen.
Sometimes, there's a moment as you're waking, that you become aware of
the real world around you, but you're still dreaming.
You may think you can fly, but you better not try it...