Re: [Epic] 40.000 bloodaxe rhino's

From: Chris Miller <ironstar_at_...>
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 1998 15:00:37 -0500

>>----------> Wel how do you figure that orks lack transport capability?
>>Most of their tanks can haul troops.
>
>Only the battle wagons and the battle fortrest can haul troops and while
>they are fine equipment it is a waste to keep them in pace with your boyz.
>more important the battle wagons can only hault one unit while the rhino's
>carry two and can be added to your main force list.
------> only batlewagons and B-forts is a pretty good chunk of the Orky
vehicles. Most other races don't get a super-heavy to transport troops. They
don't have to keep pace with the boyz if you take a pile of them. And
battlewagons are a far better vehicle than a rhino. You pay more for them,
but they're going to do a lot more, too.

>The second point is the point cost. the marine pay 1/4 of the units to
>increase the speed 2 times and the orks pay 2 the worth of the
>unit to increase the speed 2.5 times which is better?

--------> It also has a 45 cm fp 1, and assault of 2, vs a "0" and a "0", so
I hardly think this is a disadvantage.

>And remembering SPACE MARINE it is a large decree in transport
possibility's
>and the orks greatly depend on number supporiority and this can not be
>accieved by using battle wagons.

------> One of many many changes from Space Marine - I miss the different
clan types more than I miss the largely throwaway battlewagons of old. It is
harder to transport a clan's worth of troops now, but the transports
themselves are mucho better than the old ones. Also most people added in
dragstas in the old rules but they're also gone in E40K, so it still won't
be too similar.

>And the last and most important reason :) i still have some bloodaxe
>rhino's lying around.

-----> Well, why didn't you say so? This is the best reason - trying to
integrate existing, painted mini's into new rules that nuked them without
comment is probably one of the big driving forces behind the list anymore.
In the past though, the cry for BA rhino's has usually been the prelude for
making BA Landraiders, which is kind of a sore point. I was always of the
"use whatever mini you want but call it a battlewagon" opinion on this as
the simplest and least balance-breaking answer, but it usually erupts into a
big thing. In light of that, heck, take all the rhinos you want...

Chris Miller