[Epic] RE: About other gaming systems (OT)

From: Carl Woodrow <carl.woodrow_at_...>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 01:24:03 +0100

A few of you probably now know the news concerning Necromunda...espacially
if you have a copy of this months WD.

For the benefit of those who requested more info here is the message I sent
out earlier:

Message begins--------------------
Surprisingly the news may not be as bad as you expect. In a conversation
with a member of the GW team it was revealed that, much to their surprise
Necromunda had been one of the best selling games this year.

Obviously this means that they are keen to re-launch the game again in the
near future. The interesting news is that there may be a shift in GW's
selling strategy starting with Necromunda. Basically they are going to
discontinue with the additional supplements and release the rules as a
separate hard back book which will retail for around 20 UK pounds. The Rules
book will be around four times the size of the current supplements and
basically will mark a shift back to the old days of Rogue Trader and
Warhammer Fantasy.

What I was told is that the boxed games (particularly 40K) are not working
as well as they could. Most players don't really like the plastic figures
that come with the box and the card scenery is generally discarded in favour
of home-built after a couple of games. Fifty pounds is a lot to ask for a
new gaming system, figures or not, so the idea is to sell the rules as full
hard backed copies separately. If players like the rules they can then buy
the miniatures at their own discretion.

Necromunda looks like it will be the first to get the separate rules
treatment. It is hoped (I believe) that new gamers may buy the rules for 20
pounds if they wouldn't buy the box for forty.

If this works it is likely that GorkaMorka and 40K will go the same way when
it is their turn for a revision.

IMHO I approve of this approach as I have never really took on the idea of
buying the Necro box set in case I didn't like it, plus I wouldn't want the
card scenery anyway as I prefer to make my own. In my case I would go for
this...likewise with 40K.

On the whole it is good news and I think a step in the right direction,
putting the control back in the hands of the gamer.

Regards
Carl

Carl Woodrow
Project Gene-seed and Dropship designer
http://www.bigfoot.com/~Geneseed

message ends---------------
Since the above was sent out WD has now confirmed this and the Necromunda
Rules book is re-released this month for 20 pounds sterling. The two gangs
that came with the box have now been re-released as separate boxes.

For those of you interested in 40K...I will give you this advice...buy up as
many boxes of GorkaMorka as you can ;-)

Don't as me to expand on this as I really can't say any more than that
(sorry), all will be revealed in a few months when I'm allowed to spill the
beans. If you are thinking of buying 40K....um I would wait for a little
while ;-)

Regards
Carl