Re: [Epic] Epic40K stats/Pre-sale

From: Howard Liu <h2liu_at_...>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 10:30:41 -0800

>Then how come they allow customisation of detachment ala 40K ? I can
>understand if the commanders on top of a battle barge might not be too
>concerned about the equipment of their ground troops (maybe that's why
>detachments can sneak in their favorite weapons) but I am pretty sure they
>would be concerned over their land-based battleship.

>This just seems very wrong to me.

Methinks GW is letting their piddly little Epic scale go to their
collective head. I mean, it's not _that_ big. I own a fairly large
(~18000 point) Tyranid army - enough to make a game long and cumbersome -
and even if I count every stand of infantry as 5 men, the most I can put
onto the table is 980 men (870 of them being infantry).

At Gettysburg, the combined casualties from both sides totalled 50,000.
15,000 Confederate troops died in the final march to the Union position.
And the First Battle of Bull Run saw 4,700 casualties in just a few hours.
Makes my Swarm look pretty insignificant. Hell, I could have killed off a
Marine Chapter four times over. This, in the war-torn future of a dark
millenium that knows only war. Bah.

According to the background, each Space Marine Chapter can field a thousand
men, and then more in times of war. So let's be generous, say it bolsters
to ten thousand men. There are a thousand Chapters of the Adeptus
Astartes. Ten million Space Marines as the elite of a galaxy-spanning
Imperium, an Imperium which has hive worlds supporting over 200 billion
people.

And Titans are even rarer than Marines. The Legio Metallica, according to
the background, numbers, what, over sixty Titans? (I'm not certain about
this number, but I remember thinking it was ridiculously low for what was
touted as one of the largest Titan Legions). Whoa. If Titans are that
rare, then I'm going to be d*** well concerned over its armanent, even if
I'm in a battle barge at the other side of the solar system.

Howard