IG army list [Epic]

From: Geoff Kemp <geoffkemp_at_...>
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 1998 10:48:12 +0100

I found this "RL" IG army for E[pic on thenet, I quite like the feel of it,
I would welcome more input ..

The Imperial Guard Motor Rifle Regiment Support units

In today's rant^H^H^H^Hpost we will be looking at the support unit of the
Motor Rifle Regiment.

I will be posting the whole of the regiment tomorrow, nicely laid out and
all so today's post is just the support units. I am not doing the Tank
Battalion today, or the HQ section as both of those need a little thought
as to how to do them correctly, both with regards to the "real" TO&E and
with regards to what does or does not work (or for that matter is legal) in
E40K.

Regimental Anti Tank Company
HQ Section
None.
(In real life this is an admin unit If you really want it is a total of 2
officers, 5 men and 2 trucks)

3 Platoons "Detachment" each
HQ Section
Imperial Guard Command Stand 32pts
Psyker 10pts
Chimera 14pts
Troop Units
3 Imperial Guard Heavy Weapon Squads 42pts
3 Chimera 42pts
Support Units
2 Support Weapon Battery 52pts (each 2 units, total
of 4 units)
Total cost per platoon 192pts.
Total cost whole company 576pts.

Notes: Each Chimera has one infantry unit and one support weapon unit
mounted in it. This unit is normally "passed out" in single platoons to the
3 battalions of the regiment, however some times it is "held" as the
commanders mobile "fire brigade" to stop armored breakthroughs. If you are
going to split it up, each platoon is a detachment, other wise this is a
legal detachment taken as a whole.

<rant>
I have noticed a MAJOR problem in the Imperial Guard's vehicles options.
There is no SPATG/SPATGM (Self Propelled Anti Tank Gun/Guided Missile).
Every army after 1941 has had at least one of these, and in some case
several options for it. The unit above while close in sprit, is no where
near correct. The BRDM with ATGM, which is what this unit is made up of, is
a lightly armored vehicle, so using a SM force list and using Land Raiders
is not quite right here. After I finish the whole division I will go
through and generate what I think are the missing vehicles. That I know of
this will be trucks, armored cars, SAM systems, ATGM systems, & infantry
mortars, however for the now I will restrict my unit choices and TO&E
layouts to "By the book" legal detachments.
</rant>

Regimental Anti Aircraft Battery
HQ Section "Detachment"
Command Squad 32pts
Psyker 10pts
Chimera 14pts
Troop unit
2 Imperial Guard Squads 28pts
2 Chimera 28pts
Total cost HQ 112pts

2 Platoons "detachments" each
2 Command squads 64pts
Psyker 10pts
Chimera 14pts
Troop Units
4 Imperial Guard Heavy Weapon Squads 56pts
2 Chimera 28pts
Support units
4 Hydra Flak Tank 112pts
Total cost 284pts
Battery total cost 680pts.

(Real Life note: The "real" unit has 4 gun systems & 4 missile systems. Due
to the near total lack of missile air defense units in Epic, I just made it
8 gun systems.)

Notes: This unit has the very real cheesy feel if not used correctly. This
unit, in real life is in fact split up to cover the whole of the regiment.
To reflect this you could just assign one Hydra Flak Tank to a company
command detachment, to a total of 8 per regiment. Please bear in mind that
there are 9 infantry, 3 tank, and 1 recon companies in the regiment, plus 3
artillery batteries that will need some support, plus the anti-tank unit.
Not to mention the commander, staff and communication troops, all of whom
would like some protection from the USAF. This is why the USSR's armed
forces had so damn many SA-7 (which are on my "Doesn't exist in Epic" list,
BTW). For what it is worth the USSR had the best flak/grunt ratio of any
army. This means that if you have more than 1 flak unit per 2 companies on
the board you may be, well, doing the dairy thing....

Artillery Battalion.
HQ & Support Battery
2 Command squads 64pts
Psyker 10pts
Troop Units
6 Imperial Guard Squads 84pts
Total Cost 158pts

(Note, in real life these are not infantry but ammo humpers and the like.
Using this Battery as any thing other than close support for your guns is
wrong.)

3 Firing batteries "detachment" each
HQ Section 25pts
6 Heavy Artillery units 246pts
Total cost 271 pts
Total cost of the battalion 971pts.

Notes: This is pretty straight forward. For you old epic players this is 2
IG Artillery "companies", but laid out like a real military unit would be.
This unit is, in the real thing, self propelled 122mm guns, so "heavy" is
the correct artillery type vs. siege artillery.

Regimental Engineer Company. "Detachment"
HQ Section
1 Command Squad 32pts
Psyker 10pts
Chimera 14pts
Troop Units
3 Imperial Guard Squads 42pts
3 Chimera 42pts
Support Units
3 Hellhound Flame Tanks 36pts
Total Points 176pts

<rant>
There are No Combat Engineer options in the game!!! There are the leftovers
of having sappers around, (Mine fields, Razor wire, booby traps, trenches,
bunkers etc) but no way of getting them there or getting rid of them. I
will be doing Engineer rules also it looks like....
</rant>

Regimental Recon Company.
<Please See Notes>
Long Range Recon Platoon "Detachment"
Command Section 25pts
Troop Units
3 Space Marine Bike Squads 60pts
Total cost 85

Light Tank Platoon "Detachment"
Command Section 25pts
3 Predator Tanks 81pts
Total Cost: 106pts

2 Motorized Recon Platoons "detachments"
HQ section 25pts
Troop units
3 Space Marine Scout Squads 48pts
Support units
3 Razorbacks 45pts
Note: The Razorbacks act as mounts for the scout units
Total cost 118pts
Company cost: 427pts

Notes: Why is this Space Marine Unit not a IG unit?
Well, it has the gun armed version of the BRDM (of which the Razorback
comes closest but is NOT a perfect match up), motor bikes and recon troops
in it. The only way to get any where near this and stay "legal" is to make
it a space marine company. This version is also a little stronger than the
real thing, but not by enough to give problems but by enough to be a usable
company in an E40K game.

Next Up, The Regimental Tank Battalion, The Regimental Command Company and
the whole regiment, in usable rantless form.