Re: [Epic] DUNE & Epic (not OT)

From: Francois Bruntz <Francois.Bruntz_at_...>
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1998 22:32:37 +0100

Matthew Sprange a �crit :

> >Atreides were not the only one to use shields, all the other Houses used
> >them. But as you wrote it, a laser and a shield is a bad mix...
> >I think that an Epic army for Dune shouldn't use long range weapons as
> >the most fights were close combats.
> >Perhaps a rule could state that the player may choose to use the shields
> >of a detachment (giving an armor bonus of +1) risking to see it
> >destroyed by a laser shot.
>

> I think the shields were a little stronger than that. Perhaps even
stronger
> than giving them a Save ability. From the way they were protrayed, how
> about immune to absolutely everything, except those guns which fire
slowly,
> VERY skilled hand-to-hand and lasers? Beginning to get the feeling that
> rules may get stretched here ;)

What about an armor bonus of +2. As we don't speak about W40k but Epic 40k
we can afford such a "simplification" of the shield effects. But I agree
with you to say that making "realistic" rules for this is not a simple
problem. :)

> >>control them. A dune modification would be hand to hand heavy.
> >
> >I agree.
>
> And so perhaps better suited to WH40k? Perhaps I ought to get ready to
duck
> after that one.

As I don't know anything about W40k rules... :(
But I think that Epic could be in fact a better system : Dune battles are
huge battles not really skirmishes (Arrakis assault by the Sardaukar &
Harkonnen legions, Arrakeen assault by the Fremen, etc...).

> >>Sardaukar and Fremen would be CC 5 or 6 . Fremen should have
> >>infiltration
> >>(that will get nasty!) but with armor 3.
> >
> >3 is too low I think. They are great warriors, a 4+ or even a 5+ should
> >be better I think.
>

> The Sardaukar were supposed to be the best warriors in the galaxy, but
the
> Fremen chewed them up - a bigger differential may be needed here.

I suppose that you mean Fremen are greatest warriors than Sardaukars when
you say "chewed them up". :)
In fact Fremen are better warriors in Dune but they respect the military
value of the Sardaukars. In Children of Dune, Sardaukars and Fremen are
equal.

Perhaps this could be good :
Sardaukar : AV : 4, Armor : 5+, Stubborn
Fremen : AV : 5, Armor : 4+, Stubborn, Infiltration

Fran�ois Bruntz

L'ORDinateur's Home Page
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/bruntz/

L'Ordinateur's Epic Page