Re: [Epic] Epic40k Titan

From: Seth Ben-Ezra <Azathoth_at_...>
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 1997 01:31:36 -0500

On 28 Feb 97 at 11:00, Howard Liu wrote:

<snip a whole bunch of stuff about atmosphere>

You're absolutely right. I got into 40K before EPIC (true
confessions), but it was due to the look and feel of the game, not due
to the rules. Heck, one of my favorite things about the 40K/EPIC
universe is reading anything dealing with Orks. One the one hand
they're silly, but the amount of devastation that they can do in the
name of their gods.... You've got it right. The one thing that this
game has over many more "realistic" games is the brooding atmosphere,
but now GW, in an attempt to become the Milton Bradley of gaming, has
watered it down far too much. I wasn't playing during this edition,
but I understand that under old 40K rules, Marines could do something
called Terminus. Basically, they grabbed a meltabomb, pushed the
trigger with one hand, and threw themselves onto an enemy. Suicide in
the name of the Emperor. Where did that go? Gone with the rest of the
dark atmosphere.

>The atmosphere of the second Space Hulk computer game, incidentally,
>is a pale shadow of the first.

Is the second Space Hulk that you are referring to "Space Hulk: Revenge
of the Blood Angels"? I ask because I have a copy of Space Hulk that
was published by Electronic Arts, which just kicks butt. I would have
to say that it is the hardest computer game that I've ever played, but
it captures the feel perfectly. Especially when, out of nowhere,
someone screams "Ambush!" and they start coming out of the walls.....

Seth Ben-Ezra
Great Wolf