Re: [Epic] Titans and CC (a new theory...)

From: Brett Hollindale <agro_at_...>
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 1997 09:13:53 GMT

At 11:53 PM 28/2/97 -0600, you wrote:
>>I was having a think about the frightening vulnerability of titans to close
>>combat by swarms of cheap troops and it occurs to me that in fact there is
>>no problem at all...
>>
>>Check this train of reasoning and see if there is a flaw:
>>
>>1) When you make base to base contact with a model you are "pinned" and
>>must stop moving. (Unless you are a flyer, skimmer, too big to be pinned by
>>the thing you contact or the enemy model is already pinned.)
>
>Okay.
>
>>2) In order to gain a multiple attacker bonus on a titan, you must contact
>>the feet (unless you are a flyer, skimmer, jump troop or titan).
>
>Where'd you get this from (I don't have my copies of Titan Legions or Space
>Marine handy)?
>
>>3) YOU CAN'T CONTACT THE FEET IF YOU ARE PINNED BY BASE TO BASE CONTACT!!!!
>
>If I recall correctly the Titan must volunteer to allow its base to pin
>things, and hence if it volunteered I would think that it would count just
>as well for purposes of ganging up as the feet would.

I don't recall anything about "voluntary pinning". If something contacts
your base, it is pinned, period... Perhaps you are recalling the ability of
the titan to sweep forward if it chooses as detailed in the quote below...

>>Soooooo....
>>
>>Unless the titan is pinned by another titan, only skimmers and jump troops
>>can get a multiple attacker bonus on the titan.
>
>If your earlier line of reasoning is correct then why would the titan being
>pinned matter?

Because the rules on "pinning" state that you can move past (are not pinned
by) a troup whose base you contact if
1) The unit cannot pin you
2) You are a skimmer, flyer or jump troop
3) The model is already pinned in close combat by another model.

If the Titan is pinned, then (3) applies

>>One of the guys I play with suggests that I must be deranged to even suggest
>>something this absurd but I don't know, as the rules stand (I mean EPIC
>>Space Marine) I can't see any problem.
>>
>>Feedback, please...
>
>Well, as always, I agree with this proposal to strengthen titans, but I just
>don't think your rules interpretations are correct here, though I could be
>wrong, of course, as like I previously stated, I don't have my rules books
>handy.

Pity about that.

Let me quote TL page 33 "Titans and Gargants in Close Combat":

In order to fight against a Titan or Gargant in close combat, vehicles,
SHV's, and troop stands must move into contact with the model itself,
usually moving so that they touch the models feet (or equivalent).

A Titan is able to lean forward, sweeping the ground to its front and side.
To represent this a Titan can always opt to fight a close combat with models
in contact with its base (if it has one), even if the enemy is not actually
touching the Titan's feet.

Enemy models that can fly or leap over large distances can also fight if
they are touching the Titan's base - they don't need to be touching the
Titan's feet. This applies to skimmers, flyers and jump pack equipped troups.

When two Titan's or gargants fight each other it is sufficient to move both
models so that their bases are touching. Both can then fight.

end quote

I guess it would be appropriate to give a multiple attacker bonus to all of
the units that the titan chooses to attack...

More feedback please

Agro